January 10, 2013

Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

I GOT IN I GOT IN!!!! I am now, officially, the newest member of the Colorado Mormon Chorale!! I sang a whole verse of a hymn, acapella, and stayed in PERFECT tune, I didn't totally bomb my sight-reading, and the conductor loves my voice! When he welcomed me to the choir I literally jumped up and down. It's a fantastic choir, smaller than I was expecting, but SO good! They're awesome!!  Hooray!!

In other news, Bracken and I have declared war on the mutant squirrel. We both keep an eye on it, and when it ventures on to our porch, I throw open the door and release the snarling beast!! She really has it in for that squirrel. And we learned last night not to cry wolf, because she was watching the door all tense for a LONG time... She takes her mission seriously. After all, it's going after her food!


Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Bacon (adapted from The English Kitchen)
Printable Recipe

4 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
1 pound fresh brussels sprouts
1/4 red onion, diced small (or a shallot or two)
2 tsp fresh thyme
1 Tb butter
salt and pepper

First, prepare your sprouts. Rinse, cut off the ends and cut into slices, removing outside leaves.

Heat a pan on medium-high heat.  Add bacon, and cook till it starts to get crispy. Add onion and butter, and cook till onion is softened. Add sprouts and thyme, and cook till the edges just start to brown. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper, and serve!
When I saw a stalk of fresh brussels sprouts in the grocery store, I just had to get them. The Geologist was determined to hate them, and the boys weren't too thrilled either. But what the heck, I wanted some. So I cooked them, served them up...
And they were a MAJOR hit!! The Geologist had THIRDS! In fact, it was our favorite part of dinner that night! AND they were just as yummy as leftovers. I reheated them in a pan instead of the microwave.
I converted my husband to brussels sprouts! Success!! The original recipe has pancetta, so if you can get it cheaper than I can, try it! The rich, salty bacon is the perfect companion to these little beauties. These sprouts have none of their notorious bitterness, they're tender, and fresh, and delicious. The boys thought they tasted like broccoli. I just thought they were plain yummy!

8 comments :

  1. I served brussels sprouts at Thanksgiving and they too were a hit. My recipe called for balsamic vinegar. I thought for sure it was in the pantry, but it wasn't, and I grabbed the maple syrup. Delicious, just in case your balsamic vinegar isn't where you thought it was one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I never would have thought of that, how fun! Thanks for the tip, Sandy!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on making the choir! SOOOO excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we just had green beans with bacon last night- it's such a great combo! maybe i would like brussels better with bacon? may need to explore that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on making the choir my lovely! I knew you would, even if I have never heard you sing. I would have let you in on enthusiasm alone! Sprouts, shallots and bacon . . . a marriage made in heaven. I don't know anyone that wouldn't love this! Kinda like you I suppose . . . not that you are a sprout, but you are pretty impossible not to love . . . oh and our late Border Collie went Ballistic whenever we even mentioned a squirrel. Nothing she loved more than chasing them out of the yard. With Mitzie it is the word Cat. Annoying sometimes, but comes in quite handy at others! Love you much. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so awesome April! I'm so happy for you ^_^ Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks seester :) I'll keep everyone posted!

      Delete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)