January 8, 2013

Hootenanny Pancake

I'm not much of a red meat girl. I almost always prefer chicken to beef or pork, and often can happily live without meat at all! I never order steak at a restaurant, and rarely cook it around home. But about once a year, usually in the summer, I have my Burger Phase. It lasts about a month, and all I want are burgers. Big, juicy, stuffed with crisp veggies, drippy sauce and gooey cheese... It started about two weeks ago. First winter appearance! I'm assuming I will be starting some sort of diet tomorrow, so today was my last hurrah! I had to have a burger. So I did. Drove half an hour to get a good one. Ahhh... It was awfully satisfying.

This has absolutely nothing to do with today's recipe. Just me rambling on! :)

Hootenanny Pancake
Printable Recipe

6 eggs
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1 stick (1/2 cup) salted butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the stick of butter in a 9x13 inch glass baking dish, and put in the oven while it preheats, to melt.

Beat eggs and milk together. Whisk in flour, salt, and vanilla. There will be little lumps, no worries!

When your oven is preheated, and the butter fully melted, remove dish from the oven, pour batter in, and return to the oven. Bake 25-30 minutes, till golden brown. Remove, cut up, and serve hot, with jam or syrup.
It comes out all high and fluffy... Then quickly deflates! Not quite as pretty, but soooo yummy!
Apparently this funny little breakfast concoction has lots of different names! Dutch baby, German pancake, Yorkshire pudding, fat eggs (???) but I was raised calling it a hootenanny. Isn't that a fun word?? We would always yell it as my Mom pulled it out of the oven. Go ahead, call it out, as loud as you can, I dare you. I'd bet you you'll smile!
I actually made a half recipe, just enough for me and the boys. It's simple, easy, and delicious. Golden, buttery, eggy deliciousness! The perfect breakfast to throw together when you want something special, but don't want to spend hours in the kitchen. 
I usually have it with syrup, but I had some apple butter left... and it was a scrumptious pairing!!
Those buttery crispy bits on the bottom are my absolute favorite. Yum!!

7 comments :

  1. Ya.. that looks amazing. I shouldn't have looked at this while I am sitting here hungry!

    www.studentswife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I would leap out of bed for this delicious looking pancake in the morning!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cheap meal to make - great for college-goers - and yet so yummy! I've learned that some people make it for a savory dish instead, more like an omelet. Another fun way to make it is to use muffin tins (preferably large, not standard) for individual servings. And it even tastes great when re-heated! Thanks for posting this sis! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I had to get it up here eventually, right?? :)

      Delete
  4. This looks like a Yorkshire Pudding with vanilla added - a new one on me. Thanks for linking it in, April.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have made a similar pancake and I can understand why you love it so much. After I read the name at Carole's I had to come and see what all the yelling was about. Glad I did.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)