January 17, 2013

Quick & Easy Caramel Corn

I think I owe everyone a very small, sheepish, apology. I haven't been as "active" in the blogging world these past few weeks. I hardly leave any comments, it takes me forever to reply to YOUR comments, I don't read as many posts as I would like, and I feel like my little bits of sparkling conversation here at the beginnings of my posts aren't quite as sparkly as I would like them to be. I hope you'll all bear with me for a bit longer, there is a LOT on my mind these days. And not a lot of sleep. Between "getting fit", counting calories, bouts of temperature-induced insomnia, appointments up the wazoo, working towards getting a house, and now getting a bit more urgent about adoption than we expected, I'm a tad overwhelmed. I still love this blog, and the friends I have made, and the food I share! I just wanted to let you all know :) I'll catch up, eventually!

In the meantime, I will share a long-time game night staple, first growing up and now in my own little family. The yummiest, easiest Caramel Corn ever. There is no jello, or fluffiness, or creative add-ins. Just classic caramel.

Quick & Easy Caramel Corn (from The Lion House Christmas Cookbook)
Printable Recipe

2/3 cup unpopped popcorn (or you can use 2 bags microwave popcorn, a plain or lightly salted flavor)
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
2 cups light brown sugar
1/2 cup light Karo syrup (corn syrup)
1 Tb water
a pinch of baking soda

Pop your popcorn! Air popper, microwave, stovetop, whichever you prefer. Set aside.

Melt butter in small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar, corn syrup, and water. Cook, stirring constantly, till sugar is dissolved and mixture reaches a hard boil. (I never bother measuring the actual temp, I just let it get all vigorously bubbly for a minute or two) Remove from heat and immediately stir in the pinch of baking soda. Pour caramel over popcorn, in a very large bowl. Stir to coat thoroughly. Wait a few minutes before eating, that caramel is HOT!!

Here's a tip: The best way on EARTH of getting this popcorn evenly covered is to: place one large brown paper grocery bag inside another, so you have a doubled paper bag. Put your popcorn in this paper bag, and pour the caramel over the top. Close the top of the bag, and roll it over and scrunch it, so you have a firm hold on it, and no popcorn or caramel is going to escape! Now, shake and beat and knead that bag of popcorn, nearly to death! Open the bag and scrape popcorn and caramel out into a large bowl. Yes, some caramel will remain stuck on the bag. It's okay, there's plenty. This is our favorite way to do it! Unfortunately, we were out of paper bags for this batch. :)
Mmmm, buttery caramel corn at it's best! While warm, this is perfectly sticky and chewy, it hardens up a bit as it cools, but not tooth-breaking or anything.
It's rich, and sweet, and delicious. Oh, and easy! Someday I'll have to take a picture of it outside, with better light!
And oh, so addictive... I have a hard time trying to stop eating the stuff! Makes marvelous popcorn balls too!

3 comments :

  1. My favorite is a recipe that includes sweetened condensed milk. Equally easy and yummy but stays soft and chewy for days, doesn't get hard and crunchy. The sweet milk makes it even more carmel-y.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, that sounds lovely, I want to try it! Will you email me the link?

      Delete
  2. April, no need for apologies. Blogging is supped to be fun! End of. Life sometimes gets in the way. Those who read and love you understand. It sometimes takes me a long time to get back to those who read my page and sometimes I never manage to get there at all. Those who love you know you love them back!

    And that caramel corn. WOWSA! Looks so good. I must give it a try sometime when we are having people over so I don't eat it ALL myself! xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)