January 20, 2013

Heavenly Homemade Hummus

If at first your hummus doesn't succeed, try try again! I'm really loving learning how to make favorite foods at home. Cheese crackers, Thin Mints, Rosemary Olive Oil Bread, Graham Crackers, it's so much fun! And always better than the store-bought version. Of course, it's a great plus that you actually know what's in it, since you put each ingredient in yourself!

We had lunch at a Greek restaurant shortly after moving here. I was craving gyros, and that's one thing I have never successfully recreated. No idea where I would find a giant vertical spit to roast layers of meat on... or if I'd even want to! Their gyros were good, but their hummus was awesome. And I thought... "What if I made my own hummus??" I remembered when I was younger, and my Mom tried to make it... I don't know if she soaked hers first, but I remember her breaking her blender!! There was smoke, and the kitchen smelled funny for a few days... And this was one of those blenders that's supposed to be able to crush rocks and small houses and things. So I brushed off the thought.

A hummus recipe materialized in front of me on Pinterest, and the interest was re-awakened! I tried that one first, but it was a dud. The flavors never melded, and my raw garlic was WAY too sharp. So I continued searching, since I hadn't broken any major kitchen appliances with my first attempt! I found one that looked promising, and read each and every comment, and found quite a few gems in there too! So here it is: my Heavenly Homemade Hummus.



Heavenly Homemade Hummus (inspired by Big Girls Small Kitchen)
Printable Recipe

1 cup dried chickpeas (aka, garbanzo beans)

To Cook:
2 cloves peeled garlic
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

For Hummus:
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
juice of 2 lemons
cooked chickpeas
1/4 cup tahini (a sesame seed paste)
2 ice cubes
1/4 teaspoon cumin
a pinch of cayenne (optional)
olive oil

First, place your dried chickpeas in a medium bowl. Cover with water, at least an inch above the chickpeas. Let them sit overnight to soak, up to 24 hours. (You can use canned chickpeas, and skip the soaking, but every recipe I looked at agreed that dried made tastier, creamier hummus)

The next day, drain your chickpeas.  Place soaked chickpeas, garlic, olive oil, and 1/2 tsp salt in a medium pot.  Add enough water to cover the chickpeas by a few inches, and bring to a boil. Then lower to a simmer, and cook for 1-2 hours. (I let mine soak nearly 24 hours, so 1 hour of cooking was plenty). Test by taking one out (let it cool!) and squishing it between your fingers. You want them soft, but not falling apart. When they're soft, drain them and save the water and the garlic!!

Place chickpeas (still pretty warm), cooked garlic, and 1 1/2 tsp salt in your food processor. (You can also use a blender.) Add the lemon juice and tahini, and pulse till the mixture is smooth. Add 1 ice cube and 1-2 Tb of the chickpea water. Pulse until smooth again. Repeat with another ice cube and 1-2 Tb of chickpea water. Add cumin, cayenne (if using) and drizzle olive oil in, while processing, until hummus is as thick/thin as YOU like it. Taste, and adjust any seasonings as you like.

Serve drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with cumin or paprika, warm or cold, with pita bread, naan, crackers, even veggies! This makes a little less than 2 cups of hummus.
I went a little crazy with my olive oil... Oops! Oh well, still so yummy! First, I have to say, this is the smoothest, creamiest hummus I've ever tasted! I found a comment on the original recipe from someone in Kuwait, who suggested the ice cubes. I don't know how they do it, but they work!
I added cayenne because I like a bit of warmth. Yum!! This hummus is deeply flavored, the garlic flavor is mellow (because it was cooked first!!) and it just melts in your mouth. I could eat it all day, really!
It would probably be healthier to eat with carrot sticks... but I'm a naan-dipping kinda girl. I love naan! Ooo, I should learn how to make that too! *adds to mental list*
Speaking of my mental list, I would love to take recipe requests!! Until then, I hope you whip up a batch of this heavenly hummus. You'll be hooked. :)

3 comments :

  1. Your hummus looks spot on April. Well done YOU! And good that you didn't give up. I used to make a low fat hummus regularly for my ex boss. It was pretty good, and simple too. A tin of chick peas drained, 1 tiny clove of garlic, peeled and crushed. 1 tsp toasted ground cumin, the juice of 1/2 lemon, 2 TBS olive oil and enough of the juice from the tin of chickpeas to give the right consistency. Also salt and pepper to taste. It would be blitzed in the food processor until smooth. It was quite good. My favourite hummus is roasted red pepper hummus, oh and I am awfully fond of the lemon pepper one! Love you lots! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I've never added ice cubes to it, so that sounds interesting. I really love hummus and find it so much cheaper (and tastier) to make it myself. It's so expensive in the stores!

    Visiting from Clever Chicks Blog Hop :)
    Tammy
    ourneckofthewoods.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. can't wait to try that Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!



    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)