January 2, 2013

Honey-Wheat Clover Rolls


Oh wait, it's a New Year, isn't it?? Silly me, I forgot all about it yesterday! Happy New Year!!

2012 was a rollercoaster for us, good, bad, horrible, wonderful, terrifying, thrilling, it had it all! This year I'm hoping for boring. Life changes are all well and good, but it would be nice to just have a bit of normalcy. I suppose there is one life change I'm still hoping for this year, but that one is a bit fuzzy at the moment. Have to get to ball rolling first...

Anyway. Resolutions!! This year I thought of my resolutions in terms of categories. Health, habits, family, and self. Exercise and eat right, establish better daily habits, be a better, calmer, kinder Mom, and do something for myself. Something new. It actually took me a long time to figure out that last one, but I finally nailed it down to joining a choir! I have an audition with the one that organized our fabulous Christmas concert... I'm nervous. I'm not a very good sight reader!! I can follow along, and know where to stop and start, etc, but actually reading those notes right off and singing them? Not so much. I pick things up really fast though... hopefully that will be good enough!! If not, I am bound and determined to find a choir. Somehow, somewhere!! I need to keep singing!!


Honey-Wheat Clover Rolls (adapted from MyRecipes.com)
Printable Recipe

1 package yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 cup warm water
2 cups bread flour, divided
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons honey
2 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
a few more tablespoons of butter, melted, for brushing

Combine yeast and warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups bread flour, whole wheat flour, honey, butter, and salt to yeast mixture; stir until well blended. Add the rest of the bread flour, 1/4 cup at a time, till a soft, slightly sticky dough forms.
Knead dough (on lightly floured surface or in bread machine/mixer with dough hook) until smooth and elastic, 5-8 minutes. Add flour, just a bit at a time, if the dough becomes too sticky.
Place dough in a large greased bowl.  Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about an hour.  Gently deflate dough and turn out onto lightly floured surface.
Preheat oven to 425°. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces: in half, half again, then each quarter into 3 pieces. One at a time, divide each piece into 3 more pieces and shape each piece into a ball.  Place 3 balls in each muffin cup. 
Cover and let rise 25 minutes or until doubled again. Brush rolls with melted butter. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
And there you have it!! Simpler than it seems, right??
These rolls are simply scrumptious. They turned out lightly sweet and buttery, with that nutty flavor from the wheat, and a perfect fluffy chew...
I love how they come apart into mini-pieces, perfect for buttering or snacking!
Not exactly light as air, but sometimes that's not what we're going for, right? They're perfectly yummy, rustic and almost healthy, a homey side to any meal. Definitely a keeper in our book!

5 comments :

  1. Your rolls look great, I've bookmarked this to try! Happy 2013:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's to boring!! Hear, Hear!!!
    Good luck with the audition, but you won't need it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes we just need a boring year to put things in perspective, April! I hope this year is all that you want it to be. Fingers crossed for your choir audition! How fun! Your rolls look amazing. Just enough to warm one up on these cold winter mornings!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. April, those look delicious and VERY DO-ABLE! I might even be able to master these! Pinned for future reference! Good luck on your choir audition. I would love to hear you sing one day. I am sure you have the voice of an angel.

    I actually rather like boring years. But, when I think on it . . . I've never had a TRULY boring year. There are always little pockets of excitement scattered here and there. Little excitements are a good thing . . . it's the big stuff I try to avoid! I hate too much drama! Love you much. xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)