August 24, 2013

Twix Cookies

I owe my little blogging community an apology. Here I am, writing away, expecting bushels of comments, when I have been absolutely lousy at replying to the ones I do get, as well as visiting and commenting on the blogs of my blogging friends! Bad me. I will do better! I hereby solemnly swear that I will reply to every comment I get. Through email, mostly, or right on here if you are a no-reply person. Because I love the friends I have made through blogging, I love how we support each other and cheer each other on. What would be the point of this blog if no one read it? I never expect to have thousands of readers, but I am so grateful to those of you who do read my ramblings! Thank you everybody :)


Twix Cookies (adapted from Hugs & CookiesXOXO)
Printable Recipe

1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 sticks butter, softened
2/3 cup white sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Pour the can of sweetened condensed milk into a baking dish or pie plate. Cover with foil. Place in a larger rimmed pan and fill the larger pan with water, coming halfway up the dish/plate. Bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until thickened and golden. Set aside to cool.

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add salt and flour until soft dough forms. Roll into balls and press a hole in the middle with a finger or end of a wooden spoon. Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes. Cool.

Once cooled, fill the centers with the dulce de leche and drizzle melted chocolate across the tops. To melt chocolate: place chips in a mocrowave-safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Remove and stir well. Repeat, cooking for 30 seconds and stirring very well after each, 2 or three more times. To drizzle, you can use a piping bag, a spoon, or I used a plastic bag with the very very tip of one corner cut off. 
 All right, I'm sure lots of you, like me, have seen the sweetened-condensed-milk-caramel thing all over Pinterest. I have been very skeptical of such a thing. Homemade Caramels are just so amazing, I did not see how this could possibly be that good! So here's my opinion: Caramel this is not. Dulce de leche, sure! Would I make this to dip apples in, or drizzle on ice cream? No. For these cookies? Actually, it's perfect! It doesn't quite have the chewy texture, but tastes very very close to Twix caramel. So it definitely works here!
 The cookie part is a bit softer than the Twix cookie bar, but I like them that way. You could always bake for a few more minutes if you want it crunchy. It was hard to restrain myself from adding vanilla or almond to the cookies, but The Geologist restrained me, and they really do taste like Twix candy bars! Especially if you're generous with the chocolate!
Lots of fun, and rave reviews all around!

17 comments :

  1. Oh April! these look amazing!!!! I adore twix - I can imagine myself showing NO constraint with these!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than the "caramel" taking forever, they're pretty easy too! So glad you like them :) My chocolate loving menfolk devoured them in a snap!

      Delete
  2. I'm making these tonight!! They look AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! Please oh please tell me if you like them :) *hug*

      Delete
  3. Pretty yummy, I would like one...NO, a few, lol!!! Thanks for the récipe.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy - I am in trouble if I make these. I love twix and these look awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow April, those look fantastic! I can almost taste them now! I'm not surprised the lads liked them! Kudos to you for wanting to respond to every comment. I wish you well on that endeavor! It's just another thing about you that I love and that makes you special SPECIAL! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are outstanding. Great presentation. Now I want a cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woah, what the what?! How did I miss these!! I need to try them... <3
    Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How many cookies does this make? This would be great for our annual cookie swap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About a dozen, if I remember correctly. Hope you like them!

      Delete
  9. I just made the dulce de leche but it came out kind of clumpy. :( Maybe I baked it too long? It tastes good though. I am still excited to finish these cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine did too, I just whisked it like crazy as soon as I pulled the foil off, while it was still really hot. Try heating it up again and whisking it! You can just heat it up in the microwave. Good luck!
      ~April

      Delete
  10. Hey, did you know this person (I can't bring myself to call her a blogger) stole this from you : http://www.mamas-spot.com/post/2015/07/12/Must-Have-Simple-Twix-Cookies.aspx#continue

    ReplyDelete
  11. How many cookies does this make?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)