January 4, 2013

Carrots with Sage and Lemon Butter

Sometimes, I am a paragon of organization. Okay, make that occasionally. But speaking in blog terms, sometimes I have every recipe photographed, typed up, and ready to go the week before I post it. Then all I have to do is think of something fun to write in my intro, and we're good to go! Other weeks... like this one... I plan to share things with you that I haven't made yet, but plan to make in time to post them! That usually doesn't turn out so well for me. Like this poor carrot recipe. We were supposed to make them Monday. Then one way or another, it kept getting delayed... until here I am, finally, posting them at 9:00 at night after making them for dinner. Hey, it still counts, right??


Carrots with Sage and Lemon Butter (inspired by The English Kitchen)
Printable Recipe

1 pound of carrots, peeled and sliced
2 Tb butter
zest from 1 lemon
4-6 sage leaves, chopped
salt & pepper

Place carrots in a pot with lightly salted water, and bring to a boil. Cook till tender, but not mushy, about 5-8 minutes.

While your carrots are cooking, melt the butter in a small saucepan on medium-medium low heat, and add the lemon zest and sage. Let it simmer while the carrots cook, and be careful not to let it burn! A little bit of browning is fine. *Note: Marie crushes her sage and lemon zest together with a mortar and pestle, but I don't have one. If you do, go for it!*

When your carrots are done, drain them, and drizzle the butter mixture over them. Season with a bit of salt and pepper, and toss to coat all the carrots, then serve, garnished with a little more zest if you'd like :)
I would like to apologize in advance for any pictures taken of dinner-type-food from now until the sun doesn't set until... well... after dinner!! The light in here isn't awesome. These carrots would have looked so pretty outside in the sun!! Oh well. They're still yummy.
They really are!! I thought they would be richer, more overpowering, but they turned out light and herby. Yes, I am aware that isn't a word.
The buttery-ness of the... well, butter... I can't think of a better word than "buttery"... the brightness of lemon and savory-ness of sage, together with the sweet and tender carrot, this is a winner!! We all loved them. It may have butter, but it's still a vegetable! It counts!!

2 comments :

  1. They turned out lovely April! So glad you enjoyed! I love carrots in any way shape or form, and lemon and sage go so very well with carrots. I think herby is a word. At least it is a word in MY vocabulary! I am like you . . . I long for lighter days. I do so love to do my food photography in natural light. It's the best. In Winter I try to have all of my cooking done by noon. But there is only Todd and myself to please. It would be a lot harder if I had a whole family to take care of. Love and hugs to all of the Phillips's. One of my favorite families. Tis true! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you once again for a new recipe. I have all the ingredients and planned on carrots to go with dinner this evening. Will be trying out your recipe.

    Love this blog!
    LindaLee from
    CrossN'
    My Stitches

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)