January 11, 2013

Homemade Graham Crackers

Well, it's kind of snowing again... like tiny, soft balls of snow that aren't quite hail... but hey, it's cloudy, and a great excuse for me to do NOTHING. Which I very much need today. Although later I will have to go to the store... sigh... I mentioned on Monday I was meeting with a personal trainer. I loved her, got a great workout, but boy, am I paying for it!! I had no idea it was possible to make every single muscle in your legs sore at the same time! I'm hobbling around like an old lady...with broken legs. I tried to stretch them out yesterday by walking to pick Stephen up from school, and Bracken was seriously annoyed at my glacial pace. Well fine, dog, I'll just leave you home next time!! Stephen said "Wow, Mom, I can totally tell that your legs hurt quite a lot... you're kind of waddling!" ('Quite' is his new favorite word) Well, no pain, no gain, right?? I will type this up for you, and return to my chair, to hopefully stay stationary for the foreseeable future... Thank goodness for Netflix and a mellow little Joe!



Homemade Graham Crackers (inspired by Brown-Eyed Baker)
Printable Recipe

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup graham flour
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon kosher (coarse flaked) salt
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 tablespoons golden syrup (or honey)

Whisk flours, baking soda and salt together, and set aside.

Beat butter and sugars together till fluffy. Add vanilla and honey and beat till smooth. Add the flour mixture and mix together on a slower speed, till it comes together in a soft dough. (It will be a little crumbly)

Place the dough on a piece of plastic wrap and press into a square, about 8 inches square (ish). Wrap tightly,  and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.

When you're ready to bake, pull the dough out to warm a bit. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Gently roll the dough out onto a floured surface. Make sure you sprinkle with flour whenever it gets sticky. This dough is a bit tricky, and tries to crumble on you, so whenever it cracks just stick it back together.  Roll out to about 1/8 inch thick. Cut into squares, or use cookie cutters. (I used a tiny square tupperware, the stars didn't work out) 
I don't have a thin metal spatula, so I used a butter knife and slid it carefully under each cut-out to release from the counter. Carefully place them on the lined baking pan, about 3/4-1 inch apart, and poke a few holes to make sure they bake flat. Squish together scraps and roll out again, as many times as needed, making sure to sprinkle with more flour whenever needed. 

Bake the cookies for 5-6 minutes, then rotate cookie sheets. Bake for 5-6 more minutes, until the cookies are dark golden brown. Let cool completely before removing from pan. Store in an airtight container for up to a week. 
I have to be honest, these aren't really graham crackers. They're too delicious. They're like the graham cracker's glamorous older cousin. More like a crispy graham cookie!
The dark brown sugar gives them a deeper, richer flavor (plus the golden syrup, of course!! I couldn't help but add it.) and they're buttery, and crunchy, and sooo scrumptious. I was going to dust them with cinnamon sugar before baking, and forgot, but honestly, they don't need it!! I can't even imagine the awesomeness of making s'mores with these...
Or a cheesecake crust with these crumbled in it! I don't know if I could bear to crumble them...
Want to be especially decadent?? Cover them with chocolate!! Oh yeah, completely awesome. The salty, buttery graham cookie in sweet, rich chocolate... Needless to say, these are Joe's favorites. I just melted some chocolate in the microwave, 1 minute to start, stir, then repeat, 30 seconds at a time. Dip with a fork, tap on the edge of the bowl, lay them on some parchment, and wait to harden. Ta-dah!

7 comments :

  1. We're out of town, April, with varying degrees of internet connections. I just got a chance to catch up - huge congrats on making the choir! What a chance to shine! I'm so proud of you for taking the chance. And a personal trainer - woo-hooo! You won't regeret it - we go to the YMCA every day - yes, you'll waddle at first but eventually you'll have a spring and a bounce to your step (and a song in your heart -just had to add that)! Gosh - graham crackers and brussels sprouts - two of my fav things that I just have to make when we get home!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my . . . how gorgeously delish they look. We can't get graham crackers over here. I use digestive biscuits instead, which works fine, except for the fact that they are round instead of rectangular.

    I made my own Digestive Biscuits this week, and they were the same . . . not quite like Digestives, but very scrummy, and yes . . . like the older, more glamorous cousin of the Digestive Biscuit. I'm going to remember that when I write about them, and tell them you told me to say that! lol
    Love you much. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - about the personal trainer. I'd do a Jane Fonda and say Go for the Burn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look so so good!! I want to try and make them... key word "try" :) Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to make graham crackers with cookie cutters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi April, remember me? Did you ever use your pie cutters?

    Your cookies look wonderful! I don't think I have ever seen graham flour in the store. Where do you get it?
    Here from Yvonne's TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! There goes the diet! Why can't wonderful things like this be diet food and diet food be high in calories and carbs?
    I am planning another "Swap Party" with my friends and would love to serve these goodies but my friends are all so weight conscious...they'll never forgive me! Ha Ha Ha!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)