January 16, 2013

Potato and Onion Tart

I forgot to mention this on Monday... or yesterday... :) But I have been issued a Challenge! My dear friend Cherie teasingly challenged me to go a whole week without using citrus, nutmeg, cinnamon, or cranberries! Technically, she dare-double-dared me. :) Can I pass up a challenge?? Of COURSE not!! Hence, this week is citrus, spice, and cranberry free. But all bets are off next week!! Muahahahaaaa :) Unless you count the teensy bit of lemon in the Pork Tenderloin marinade... which I don't. So there.

Boy, things sure aren't made as well as they used to be. I bought a new speaker system for our computer a few months ago. The old one only worked out of one speaker, so half of the music was muted or missing, and it went through a "subwoofer" with a big hole carved out of its back, where we tried to fix a short in it... Anyway. I was so happy with this new system! It has one of those neato little control pod things so you can plug headphones in or control volume right on top of your desk... but now this one has a short too! It only works in both speakers if you press down on the top of the control pod just right. So I taped it. Maybe I'm lazy, I just don't care enough to go get a new one, or get this one fixed... Ah well! This is me, rambling. On to the food!

Potato and Onion Tart (adapted slightly from Hizzoners Deli)
Printable Recipe

2  tablespoons butter
about a teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves
1 large onion, sliced a little more than 1/4 inch thick (we like sweet onions for this)
1 lb red potatoes, washed and sliced very thin
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
1/2 cup crumbled feta
1 cup shredded mozzarella (don't use preshredded!)
kosher salt and black pepper

Preheat your oven to 400°. Start heating an oven-safe skillet (like cast iron!) over medium-high heat. Place the butter in to melt. Place the onion slices in a single layer over the melted butter, cut side down.  Cook for 5-8 minutes, till the onions are softened. Combine the potatoes, oil, cheeses, salt and pepper in a bowl stir till evenly distributed and coated.

Pour the potato mixture over the onions, spread evenly, and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Turn upside down to serve...

Okay, this is what the picture from the website looked like...
Source: HizzonersDeli

Isn't it gorgeous?? Yeah, mine didn't turn out like that. At all. I think my cast iron skillet isn't as non-stick as it should be... I just had a pile of onions and potatoes. Darn. BUT.... No fear!! As soon as I tasted them, it no longer mattered. So maybe you'll get a gorgeous one like this. Or maybe you'll have a pile like me. Either way, it's positively delectable!
It looked fabulous when we pulled it out of the oven! All browned and bubbly, with that sweet caramelized onion smell... Mmmm...
And then we flipped it over... Sigh. Well, no matter! It is a pile of deliciousness. Soft, sweet, caramelized onions, lightly cheesy creamy potatoes...
It's like the best potato gratin I've ever had, but with onions! Which I don't often say is a good thing...
But in this case, it absolutely is. If you are less of an onion fan, I highly recommend trying sweet onions. They just might convert you!
Ah, the perfect bite. Soft, sweet onions with tender, creamy potatoes. Yum!! We wish we could make this again soon, but we're trying to be healthier, and this is NOT healthy. But ohhh, so yummy! Either way, it made it on the "The List".

6 comments :

  1. What a great idea. I think we all should post what the recipe picture looks like vs. what ours turns out looking like. They both still look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to do the recipe justice!! Most blogs I follow have much better photography, so I'm not sure I'm brave enough to do it ALL the time!

      Delete
  2. Pardon me while I drool, April ;>) This recipe is just for Mr. Squash and I seeing as how I'm half Irish (potatoes), he's half Polish (potatoes) and we live in Walla Walla Sweet Onion country! Good luck on your challenge - not sure if I could be that brave!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks mighty delicious to me April. Potatoes and onions, caramelized and with all that cheese, Ohh La La! It doesn't matter what it looks like. It only matters what it tastes like! I've seen some pretty tasty looking do dahs that tasted like crapola! (excuse my French!) Good luck on your challenge! You're a better gal than me if you can keep to it! Lots of love and hugs heading your way. Ohhh, I went into town with my friends the other day and your lovely scarf kept me nice and warm and looked so very stylish. Have I told you how much I love it? I DO I DO I DO I DO (imagine Abba singing that as you read it. ☺☺☺ )

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)