July 17, 2012

Toasty Ham and Cheese Biscuits

IT'S RAINING! (Okay, not really, but it was when I wrote this, so let's pretend) My soul rejoices. And heaves a huge sigh. I could just watch the rain for hours... after weeks and weeks of 95+ degree bright sunny weather, not to mention the FIRES springing up all over the state (!!!) this rain is such a blessing. I have mentioned I wish I had been born British. See? Further proof! All that rain over there... heaven! Or I would make a great vampire (tee hee) Anyway. Cool, grey, cloudy, rainy days make me feel all homey. We played outside (well, the boys played, I watched... and encouraged!) blew bubbles, took pictures, while watching the clouds, and breathing that before-rain clean air...the boys tried playing in the rain, that didn't last long. Time for lunch! And the perfect rainy day meal is soup and a cheese sandwich, right? My boys LOVE grilled cheese and tomato soup. It might be their favorite lunch... or maybe Lunchables... anyway! I loved the idea of these Ham and Cheese Scrolls from The English Kitchen, but wanted to adapt it and make it my own, using my favorite biscuit dough recipe. :) I think I have been successful! (I love the word "scrolls" though, can I still use it? What is blogging protocol on that, exactly??)

Toasty Ham and Cheese Biscuits
Printable Recipe

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick butter, cold and sliced into tablespoons
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 Tb melted butter
Sliced ham
about 2 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 400*. Grease a cookie sheet (or line with parchment paper).

Whisk dry ingredients in a large bowl. With pastry cutter, 2 knives, or your fingers, cut cold butter (or mix by rubbing into the flour) into dry ingredients until no lumps are bigger than a pea.

Stir in buttermilk with spatula or wooden spoon until dough forms a lumpy ball. (and all flour is incorporated) Be careful not to overmix! Turn dough out onto well-floured work surface. Roll into rectangle, about 8 by 10 inches.
Layer ham on dough, then sprinkle with shredded cheese, leaving about an inch of space along the long sides. (Marie also spreads chutney under the ham, if you like chutney)
Roll up from the long side tightly, pinching the edges closed. Using a sharp knife cut into 10 evenly sized slices. Place each slice cut side down onto the parchment paper. Brush tops with melted butter.

Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown and lightly crisped. Serve hot. I'm already thinking of other combos for these things... roast beef and swiss, turkey and provolone, pepperoni and mozzarella!!
I know I'm supposed to be on a liquid diet, but I had to have a bite... and then I had another... and then I was checking Stephen furtively, hoping he wasn't watching me (he's the solid food police!!!)... and then I ate the WHOLE THING. I love these things. I want another one. They're toasty ham and cheese inside a fluffy, flaky, buttery biscuit, how can that be anything but awesome?! And guess what....
JOE LOVED THEM!!!
HA!!! *happy dance*

I am fulfilled. :)

1 comment :

  1. Hee.. I love your ongoing mission to please The Picky One. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)