July 29, 2012

Almond Shortbread Cookies

Okay, so I didn't bake these today. Stephen did. I was napping. In fact, I should really make him post about them, because he is pretty much the baker of these cookies these days. They're just so easy! He likes to take treats to the families he home-teaches, and at least half of the time, he makes the treats himself! Such a gentleman. :) These are his go-to, because, again, they're ridiculously simple. And they just might be his favorite. My sister-in-law Jane gave me this recipe, what feels like a million years ago, when we lived down the street from Stephen's parents in the middle of Missouri. I have so many fond memories of those years... just not of the summers. SO hot, humid, full of ticks and chiggers... *shudder* Ick. I am so glad Stephen has been converted to the West. The rocks might have had something to do with it... Anyway, I digress. Cookies! Five ingredients. Really!

Almond Shortbread Cookies
Printable Recipe

1 cup salted butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 cups flour
Jam/preserves

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and sugar. Mix in almond extract. Add flour till just mixed. Roll dough into balls. 

Make a small hole in the top with your finger. 
Fill hole with jam. (Raspberry and leftover apricot from my Pumpkin Surprise Muffins here) Bake for 14 minutes. 
Easy peasy!! Stephen got creative with a few of them...
Raspbery almond?
Butterscotch almond?
Anyone see the big black beastie hair on that one? No? Just me then :) I think it's hilarious... maybe I shouldn't point it out... unsanitary and all that. Hey, when you have an 87 pound dog in a 500 square foot apartment, no matter how often you vacuum and brush said dog, those hairs just kinda... precipitate!
But there are no dog hairs on these, I promise. Aren't they pretty?? And easy?? And yummy!!
I don't know why they're called shortbread cookies... they aren't like shortbread at all. They're soft, a bit fluffy, buttery and almondy. Very scrumptious, but not shortbread. Oh well, I didn't name them!
I'll just eat them. And you should too! Happy Sunday!

3 comments :

  1. Wow, a husband who bakes delicious cookies??? YOU HAVE IT ALL GIRL!!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! I don't deserve him. But I'm sure glad he likes me anyway :)

      Delete
  2. LOVE the dog hair! Extra protein! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)