July 6, 2012

Blueberry Ribbon Cake

Oh my oh my, I am in love. I actually made this for our family treat on the 4th of July.. you know, blueberries, patriotic and all that... I made a few treats during my break from the hospital so I could still post when I went back! I was only allowed one bite, so I could describe it... I confess, I had three!!! This is another new favorite from The English Kitchen, hope no one minds. :) Oddly enough, Joe has decided not to like any of the treats I've made, except for a test loaf of lemon yogurt cake... which makes NO sense to me... and actually kinda hurts my feelings! It shouldn't, should it! He's being healthy, I guess... So silly of me! Just makes me more determined to figure out what he DOES like!

Blueberry Ribbon Cake (original recipe)
Printable Recipe


135g cake flour (see note*) (1 1/2 cups) sifted
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp baking soda
125ml milk (1/2 cup)
2 ounces butter (1/4 cup)
145g granulated sugar, plus 2 TBS for sprinkling (3/4 cup plus 2 TBS for sprinkling)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg, beaten
1 pint fresh blueberries, washed and dried (8 ounces, 2 cups)

Preheat the oven to 180*C/ 350*F/ gas mark 4. Line the bottom and sides of an 8 inch square pan with foil, (I used an 8 inch springform, I don't have any square cake pans yet!)shiny side up. Coat with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.

Whisk the flour and cream of tartar together in a bowl. Stir the bicarbonate of soda into the milk.

Cream together the butter, 145g of the sugar (3/4 cup) and the vanilla in the bowl. Beat in the egg. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the batter in thirds, alternating with the milk, beating together until blended. Fold in half of the blueberries.

Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan. Level the top of the spatula. Sprinkle with the remainder of the berries. Spoon the remainder of the batter over top and smooth out. Sprinkle the top with the 2 TBS sugar.

Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Place onto a wire rack to cool completely. Remove from the pan and cut into 2 inch squares to serve. Store under a cake dome or covered with parchment paper at room temperature.

Note* - To make your own cake flour whisk together 175g of plain flour (1 3/4 cup) and 38g of corn flour (1/4 cup cornstarch) . Measure out afterwards as per recipe.
I LOVE the top!! I think the crispy sugary crust is just beautiful! Not beautiful in a fancy, frosted layer cake way, beautiful in a simple, homey way.
I love this cake. Absolutely love. It is the first cake I have ever had that I can truly say is "light as a feather". We had it with some homemade almond whipped cream, which was perfect with the lightly sweet vanilla of the cake and the scrumptious blueberries.
All of our blueberries sank to the bottom, but who cares!!! I want more... I'm going to have dreams about this cake... that tissue-thin crispy crust...
I am SO making another one when I get out of the hospital. I can't eat it all myself, who wants to share??

6 comments :

  1. (raises hand)

    I'd love to share! However. I'd have to bike from my house to yours and BACK in order to burn off the calories I would ingest while spending one week in proximity to your magic cookery :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. All right, we'll meet at the park and eat cake!

      Delete
  3. I recently read on pinterest something about why blueberries sink to the bottom. Try chilling the batter before adding the berries and baking. I *think* that's what it said. In the mean time, I absolutely LOVE your blog and get so hungry every time I read it! You post some of the most tempting things EVER! Wiping the drool before checking my pantry/fridge for ingredients...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think chilling it would affect how it rises... But who knows!

      Delete
  4. beautiful pictures, April! You're really getting the "knack"

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)