October 19, 2012

Meatloaf with Cooks Illustrated Glaze

I am a sucker for comfort food. Turkey dinners, Mac and Cheese, Fried Chicken, chicken noodle soup... There's just something about them that is so filling, and deeply satisfying, all the way down to my toes. I love thinking about the generations that have eaten these same foods, years and years back. There are a few classics that I want to learn to make, like chicken and dumplings, and french onion soup... But I've got time. And plenty of comfort recipes to share already!! And Fall is the best time of the year for comfort food. Lets be honest, no one comes home from a chilly outdoor Fall excursion and says to themselves, "Mmmm, I could really go for a SALAD right now!!" And if you do... well, you must be lots thinner than me! :)

I know, I know, it's meatloaf. This poor dish has such an awful reputation, doesn't it?? Gross, greasy, dry, bleck. I also happen to hate it when there are red or green peppers in it. Well, I've only had one meatloaf recipe in my LIFE that I liked, and this is it. And I love it. Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and peas. Classic comfort food at it's best!!


Mom's Meatloaf
Printable Recipe

1 lb ground beef
1 egg
1/2 of a yellow or white onion, diced small (sometimes I grate it on a box grater instead!)
a handful of oatmeal (about 1/2 cup)
1 Tb powdered milk
1 tsp pepper
2 Tb Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup ketchup

Glaze (from Cooks Illustrated)
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tsp hot sauce (I like Frank's)
1/2 tsp coriander
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 Tb packed brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all meatloaf ingredients well in a large bowl. (By hand works best for me! Or you can use child hands... :)
Dump meatloaf into a loaf pan and form into a loaf shape (slightly domed top). *I was lazy, but for a much less greasy loaf, put a wire rack in a rimmed cookie sheet, lay a piece of foil on top of the rack, poke holes in the foil, and form your loaf on the foil. All the grease will fall through the foil into the cookie sheet!* Combine all glaze ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and remove from heat. Spoon half of it over the meatloaf, save the rest for later. Cook meatloaf for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, spoon the rest of the glaze over, and return to the oven. Bake for 15 more minutes. Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes before serving.
I know that list of glaze ingredients sounds strange. It really does. But it's REALLY yummy!! They had a meatloaf recipe too, but it involved gelatin, and browning veggies... *yawn* We tried it, and still like this one better. And it's LOTS easier. :)
Tangy, slightly sweet glaze with a bit of warmth, tender, juicy meatloaf... It's very simple, but isn't most comfort food?? You could add peppers if you want to, of course!
Ah, the perfect bite. Long Live Meatloaf!!

By the way, I'm now a contributor over at Mommy Is CooCoo, stop by and check Amanda out!

6 comments :

  1. Hey! That's my recipe! :-D I was expecting you to post some Phillips' type of recipe (something with canned soup or Velveeta? OOHHHHH!* Just poking atcha, Stephen) Or something from that Manly Meat Recipe book you have. ;-) ...Sorry, I'm feeling a little feisty.
    I know it's a little more work, but I do like how if you put the loaf on a pricked foil sheet, over a rack and a cookie sheet, then it turns out less greasy...
    You didn't specify what the lean-ness of your ground beef is... 90? 80?
    Oh, and sorry for the green peppers... I don't do that OR celery anymore.... or grated carrot... I truly have scarred you, haven't I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes ma'am, it is yours :) And don't worry, only the squash and zucchini was scarring :) Just kidding!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks very yummy! We love meat loaf and eat it often in the fall and winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love meatloaf but am still struggling to find how to make the perfect one! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meat loaf, love it or loathe it, it is here to stay. I never liked it as a child, but have come to love it as an adult. I think I make better meatloaf than my mom actually. Probably because I use a better grade of meat than she did. If you are going to be eating it, then you might as well get the best, is my motto! anyhoo, I put all of my liquid ingredients (milk, egg, worcestershire sauce)along with dry mustard, the onion and some celery into my blender first and blitz to a liquid. That way there are no lumps and bumps in it that are off putting to some. My glaze is quite similar to yours as well. Yummo! Only thing I do that is really different . . . I lay slices of bacon on top to make up for having used extra lean ground beef. You need a bit of fat in there don't you. Bacon . . . it's like the icing on anything! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are GREAT tips, Marie! Next time I make meatloaf, I'm definitely going to give it the "Blitz & Bacon, Bumpless & Beefy" treatment.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)