September 6, 2012

Peach Almond Yogurt Cake

Today is SO much better!! Remember all that moving stress? Gone. Our last paycheck from the school was almost double what we expected, Stephen finally got his thesis edits ALL back AND finished them already!! Overnight I have gone from stressed and tense and dreading the move, to EXCITED!! I can't wait! After 7 years of being married to a student, we get to have a job!! With a salary! And a washer and dryer in my home!! To me, that is luxury. Oh, we are so so SO blessed. *Deep Sigh of Relief*

Part 2 of my Cake Therapy Day :)


Peach Almond Yogurt Cake (adapted slightly from Foodbeam)
Printable Recipe

220 g unsalted butter, softened (1 cup)
250 g caster sugar (1 1/3 cups sugar)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
3 eggs
225g self-raising flour, sifted (1 1/2 cups, plus 2 Tb)
50 ml milk (1/4 cup)
250 ml plain yoghurt (1 1/8 cups)
450g peach, skinned and cut into dices (about 2 1/2 cups, 3-4 peaches)
flaked almonds and sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 170°C. (325) Grease and line the base of a 23cm (9 inch) springform cake pan.

Place the butter and sugar in a bowl mix until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and almond extracts, then the eggs one at a time, beating well after each.

Fold in the flour, milk and yogurt and mix until barely combined.

Gently fold in the peach chunks.
Pour the mixture into a pan and sprinkle with the almonds and a bit more sugar.
Bake for 1 hour and 20 min or until skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. If browning too quickly, cover top of the cake with foil for the last 20 min of cooking. Remove and cool.
Tis soft and fluffy, almondy and peachy. VERY good warm with ice cream! I'm kind of becoming addicted to things topped with almonds... sorry about that!
A perfect use for those peaches. I froze the rest for smoothies. :)
I'm not usually a fan of baked peaches, but this still kept the tang and fresh-peach flavor I love. AND it wasn't too difficult! Try it, if you're in the mood for a baked-peach change of scene.

8 comments :

  1. I should try this! I just picked all our peaches and made a peach pie yesterday but have tons of peaches left over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! I'm so glad that the stress is gone! :)

    Hey, I recognize that table, and those plates. . . . ;) :D

    Also, I am über excited about tonight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never thought of this combination of flavors before and it sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there! I'm a new follower from the Link & Mingle. Thanks for hosting! I'd love a visit back at http://www.two-in-diapers.blogspot.com when you get the chance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a GORGEOUS cake!!
    It looks fabulous and sounds delicious
    I'm pinning it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on being stressfree and having a job... I have a husband who has been in school, so know what you are going through ~ he still has 2 years and I can't wait until school is done and he gets a job... Great looking cake and perfect for this time of year. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and remember to come back and vote on Sunday.
    http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your newest follower via the Link & Mingle...
    Anissa from Chasing Hailey

    http://chasinghailey.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)