September 26, 2012

Cheese and Herb Buttermilk Bread

I think I can say with confidence that Fall is FINALLY here!! Yesterday was gloriously drizzly, the trees are officially turning gold around the tips and edges, and there is a crispness to the air, even after it warms up!

AND, I put my favorite long-sleeved shirt on today! I feel cozy and pretty. Tis a good day. A good day to make this savory, homey, delicious, yet-another-buttermilk-recipe for Bread! There are a few more buttermilk recipes coming up... I just might convince you of its genius, and you may learn why you should ALWAYS have buttermilk on hand!

Happy First Day of Feeling-Like-Fall!


Cheese and Herb Buttermilk Bread (adapted from Sugar Spice and Everything Nice via Pinterest)
Printable Recipe

2 1/4 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda/baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
60g freshly grated parmesan (2/3 cup packed)
60g grated cheddar cheese  (2/3 cup packed)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp thyme leaves or 1 tsp dried thyme
2 eggs
2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
Egg wash (optional) made from 1 egg yolk beaten with 2 tsp water

Extra thyme springs and sea salt, for topping

Ingredients she had that I skipped:
1/2 cup green olives, sliced
8 pieces sundried tomatoes, sliced thinly
1/4 cup mixture of spring onion and Italian parsley 

Preheat oven to 180C or 350F. Butter and flour/ line with parchment and butter one loaf pan. Set aside.

Whisk flour, baking powder, soda, salt, pepper and mustard powder into a large bowl. Add both cheeses and thyme and stir them together.

In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, then whisk in the oil and buttermilk until well combined.

Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir together to form a thick, sticky batter. Pour into loaf pan and spread evenly. Brush the top with egg was and sprinkle thyme and sea salt on the top. (Careful with the sea salt!)

Bake for 40 -50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, the remove and cool on a wired rack. Serve warm.

"This loaf is best served on the same day. Wrap left overs tighly and store in fridge. Gently reheat in oven if serving left overs"
I left out all those neato things trying to please my family. While it turned out VERY yummy, I would recommend adding in the sundried tomatoes at least. I think I'll add spring onions next time too. It just needed a bit "more", somehow. But if you are not a fan of all of those, you'll probably love it!!
Somehow she got her outside thyme to not dry up... Oh well! Isn't it a gorgeous loaf?? Those little pockets of cheese, the sweet sharpness of GOOD parmesan, that fabulous moist crumb from buttermilk, savory herbs...
We had this with Chicken Pot Pie last night, they went together wonderfully. I don't think I have ever made a savory bread before! Biscuits, yes, but not bread! This is satisfying, easy, and yummy. It would be fabulous with some soup!
See? It's just asking to be made!

4 comments :

  1. That bread looks crazy delicious and I'm not a huge bread eater! I can just imagine making a sandwich with it or eating it with a good soup. Yummmy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just learned something new! I thought that the longer you kept buttermilk, the more sour it got, thus, the better it tasted in everything. But I just learned that it does indeed get more sour, but the little beasties that eat the sugars finally run out of food, and they start to dwindle... resulting in baked goods that actually lack that rich, buttery component that buttermilk lends. Yes, you can keep Buttermilk and use it successfully after the "use by" date, but after about three weeks, you will experience diminishing returns. The solution? Freeze it in one cup increments when you don't finish it all, freezing keeps the little beasties is suspended animation, so when they thaw, the buttermilk is still buttery, and it's just the right acidity for leavening.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)