September 7, 2012

Autumn Apple Muffins with Cinnamon Butter

I'm slooooowly transitioning to fall!! I can't do it too soon, because then the hot days just frustrate me. But it's time to start collecting fall-smelling candles, bake things with spices, leave the windows open in the morning... I can't wait. I can't fully commit till it is REALLY here, but it's coming!!

We found these beautiful little apples at the farmer's market, and I LOVE them!! They're white and red, pure white inside, and sweet and tangy. They remind me of the apples Gilbert and Anne eat at the wild apple tree he found. Anyway, this is a big deal, because I haven't eaten apples, just for apples sake, in years. It's a mental thing. (there aren't any left to take pictures of, sorry!) These apples just begged to be baked, so I made them into muffins! This is a wonderful end-of-summer, beginning-of-fall recipe. Hooray (cautiously) for Fall!!

PS- I'm also going to be tinkering with my blog look over the next little while. One of these days my sister is going to make me a whole new custom design, but until then, it's still time for a change! I'd love to hear your thoughts, what you like and don't like. Stick around! :)



Autumn Apple Muffins with Cinnamon Butter (adapted slightly from The English Kitchen)
Printable Recipe

300g self raising flour* (2 cups)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice
2 large eggs, beaten
75ml of plain Greek yogurt (1/2 cup)
100ml of milk (scant 1/2 cup)
115g of soft light brown sugar (1/2 cup packed)
6 TBS sunflower/vegetable oil
2 eating apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped

For the cinnamon butter:
4 ounces butter, at room temperature (1/2 cup)
60g of icing sugar, sifted (1/3 cup)
1 tsp of ground cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6. Butter a 12 hole muffin pan, or line with paper liners. Set aside.

Whisk the flour, soda and spices together in a large bowl. Whisk together the eggs, yogurt, milk, brown sugar, oil and chopped apple in another bowl. 
Fold this into the dry mixture, mixing together only until the dry ingredients are evenly moistened. Lumps are fine. Muffin batter should be lumpy! 
Spoon big dollops into the prepared muffin pan. Sprinkle tops with brown sugar (optional!)
Bake for about 20 minutes, until well risen and golden. Leave to cool in the pan for several minutes before scooping out to a wire rack to cool.

Meanwhile, beat together the butter, sugar and cinnamon for the cinnamon butter. Serve the muffins warm with the cinnamon butter for spreading.
Yummy yummy! You definitely want to eat these warm. Pop them in the microwave for a few seconds as leftovers. Actually, I think they're even better the second day!
They taste gently of fall, instead of declaring it at the top of their little muffin lungs. Pumpkin has a tendency to do that. Which is why I did not bake pumpkin muffins.
Those apple bits are sweet and a bit chewy, perfect. The muffins themselves are actually a bit less sweet than you might expect, which is why you must try the cinnamon butter. Apart, they're yummy...
Together? They're apple cinnamon heaven. 


2 comments :

  1. Thank you for this recipe. I'm going to have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look wonderful! Stopping over from Stone Gable. And I love the fonts you have here, I chose the same for my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)