September 21, 2012

Kitchen, Curtains, and Carrot Cake

It's time for PICTURES!!! First, my beautiful bathrooms. They're a bit bare, and needing accessories, but still. Just having themes for each is more than I've ever had!
The boys/guest bathroom...
My Mom called it the Bollywood bathroom :)
And MY bathroom...
I am madly in love with my bathroom. I have always loved blue-and-white prints, and this feels so luxurious to me!! *happy dance*

Our patio, my new food-photography studio...
My (ahem, our) new computer desk!! Our first real furniture purchase together in our whole marriage!!
Love love love. 
And of course, last but by NO means least... My Kitchen.

I still can't quite believe it. It looked lots smaller in the online pictures!! Forget looking for a house, maybe we'll have to just stay here.

To celebrate the gorgeousness of this kitchen, I decided to attempt something brand new: Carrot Cake. I have never made a carrot cake, can you believe it?! This recipe is (mostly) from my Mom's best friend when we lived in Colorado, Cherie Haaland. She was our neighbor for the first stay, and has been a family friend ever since. She had lived in England, and was the most elegant person I had ever met at the age of 12. She had dishes and furniture from England, books, recipes, clothes... That was about when my obsession really took off. There was also a gorgeous garnet velvet chaise that I wanted soooo bad... and still do...

Carrot Cake (adapted from Cherie Haaland)
Printable Recipe

3 c flour
3 c sugar
1 t salt
1 T b. soda
1 T cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 c oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 T vanilla
1 1/2 c shredded coconut
5-6 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-2 inch chunks
3/4 c crushed and drained pineapple
1 cup walnuts/pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and/or line two 9 inch springform or -sided cake pans. Whisk flour, sugar, salt, soda,and spices together in a large bowl. 

In a blender or food processor, combine the oil, eggs, carrots, pineapple, and coconut. Blend till smooth.
Add the carrot mixture to the dry ingredients, and mix well. 
Pour into prepared cake pans, and bake 45-50 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting. 
Frosting:
1 8 oz package cream cheese, room temperature
6 Tb butter, room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 tsp vanilla

Cream butter and cheese together. Add liquids. Slowly add sugar until fully mixed. Frost your cake!

Okay, this is probably the most unattractive cake I have ever made. It's not the recipe's fault! It's mine, I messed up the frosting, and used the wrong pans! :) Now, I would normally get all angry and furious and cry about my ruined cake, but apparently blogging has taught me baking perspective, because I just laughed and went with it!
Uuuuuugly!! :)
Oh well. It's what's on the inside that matters, right?
Well, how does that look? :)
Mmmmm... cream cheese awesomeness...
After I cut that slice, the frosting just pooled in the middle... *giggle*
My crazy husband who is randomly picky doesn't like the teeny bit of lemon in the frosting. Ha!
This is sweet, spicy, toothsome carrot cake at it's best. You still get little bits of carrots to chew, but the cake holds together much better without all those big chunks!

 Stephen doesn't like it. I do. You will too. I hope the boys can help me finish it!! Hooray for a new kitchen!

12 comments :

  1. Mmm... that carrot cake looks amazing. I have to buy carrots for a roast... and I *think* I might just have to get the extra-extra large bag now! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen...I do like it. I just think it could be better. I like my cake with no chunks and lemons and carrots don't go together. So there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrot cake sounds so good! I love your new place. Your kitchen looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the "bollywood" bathroom! :) Great colors, reminds me of Fall. Hope you have a great weekend, April!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been a carrot cake person but oh my goodness that looks delicious!

    Love your bathroom - and having a boy/guest one septate heaven at all?

    Thank you so much for taking part in the I Love my Post Hop :).

    Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your kitchen! That's the floor I want in my living room. That carrot cake looks delish! I'm now following from the blog hop. I'd love a follow back :). Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the kitchen, LOVE the shower curtains (you have inspired me,)LOVE the thought of pooling cream cheese frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the Bollywood bathroom. SO you. X) Your kitchen is so spaciously awesome, and that carrot cake looks amazing!! So happy for you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. April, I am loving your new house and that kitchen WOWSA!! I wish I had that much space. I have about 12 inches square of work space on a good day! I would so love to have all your space! Your carrot cake looks fabulous, kinda like the Mad Hatter's hat and I think it's cute! You could call it the Mad Hatter's Carrot Cake! Oh, I do so love carrot cake. So does the Toddster! Oh, and don't get me started on Bollywood!! Love Bollywood anything. Have you seen Bride and Prejudice??? How about the Indian Doctor. (Great series on the BBC) Love and hugs and HAPPY SATURDAY all the day through! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so jealous of your kitchen and your Bollywood bathroom!! Your place looks wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. carrot cake is my fav- it seems like my ugliest desserts are always the tastiest! im a new follower from the hop- stop by and visit me when you have a chance.
    (oh, and post more recipes for me to try!!!) :)
    kendrakaypahukoa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your kitchen looks fab! Great carrot cake recipe too :)

    I'm now following you and found your blog through life in a breakdowns blog hop, would love it if you had a few mins to check out my blog too http://jo-beautyandthebooks.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)