September 27, 2012

Ginger Chocolate Chip Scones

Scones, scones, wonderful scones. Tell me, when you think of British Food, what's the first thing that comes to mind?? For me, it is always either crumpets or scones. (I don't know how to make crumpets... yet) Maybe that's why scones have been one of my favorite goodies for as long as I can remember. Maybe it's their semi-biscuity texture and light sweetness. Who knows, but I adore them, and always will. Now, I know I made scones just a little while ago, and I was going to save this variation longer... but it's just too yuumy to keep hidden away as a backup. Besides, it has CHOCOLATE!! By the way, I am making a concerted effort, for my readers and my chocoholic husband, to find more deep, dark, delicious chocolatey recipes. Try this one for starters, even if it is just a version of the Ginger Berry Scones.

They're addicting. Really.

Ginger Chocolate Chip Scones (adapted from The English Kitchen)
Printable Recipe

3 cups flour
1/2 cup caster/ultrafine sugar
1/4 cup powdered milk
3/4 tsp salt
1 Tb baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp each of ground allspice and ground ginger
1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
a little bit less than 1/4 cup candied ginger, minced
2 large eggs, beaten
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
8 Tb cold butter, cut into about tablespoon-sized chunks
1 egg, beaten with1/2 tsp water and 1/2 tsp vanilla (for glazing)
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
Whisk together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut the butter in (or rub in with your fingers, pulse in food processor, etc) until butter bits are no larger than small peas. Stir in the chocolate chips and ginger. 
Whisk the eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk together in a separate bowl.
 Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing in with a fork and being careful not to overmix. Gently fold together until all loose flour is mixed in.

"Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times. Divide the dough in half. Place both halves onto the prepared baking tray and pat each half into a 7 inch circle, approximately 1/2 inch thick, leaving at least 4 inches between each round. Cut each round into 8 wedges, separating them only very slightly. Brush the tops with the beaten egg/water combination and sprinkle with some coarse sugar or cinnamon sugar, if using."

Place on the middle rack of your preheated oven. Bake for 7 minutes only. Turn the oven off and allow them to sit in the oven for a further 8 to 12 minutes without opening the oven door. They should be golden brown. Remove from the oven at the end of that time and place on a wire rack to cool slightly before cutting apart and eating.
My Mom made a funny face at me when I said "ginger and chocolate." Really?? I thought it was a classic combo!
These were sooo good. I think I ate half of them myself... Over multiple breakfasts... and snacks...
Ginger and chocolate, a match made in chocoholic (and non-chocoholic) heaven.
I saw a recipe for chocolate gingerbread on Pinterest... yes, believe I must. 

2 comments :

  1. oh my goodness! Those look sooo yummy!


    www.studentswife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These scones look wonderful! so moist and light and full of flavor - great job!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)