September 30, 2012

Chocolate Buttermilk Pound Cake

Wow. Yesterday was QUITE the day!! Stephen let me sleep in, like the angelic husband that he is, then we whisked ourselves promptly off to the downtown farmer's market. Again, wow!! The number of fabulous looking vendors!! There were so many things I wanted to try... had to be strong... but I couldn't resist handmade pierogies that were melt-in-your-mouth delicious, and the BEST gyro I have EVER had!! I know where I'm getting my lunch every Saturday till the end of October!! I'll take more pictures next week for you. :)

Then I came back, strapped on the apron, and set to work making 2 full meals, complete with desserts. Last Sunday I accidentally signed up to feed the missionaries and take a meal to an elderly woman on the same day! Not knowing anyone, I couldn't think of any way to trade, so I just went with it. Two soups, two breads, two desserts!! And finally, a truly scrumptious chocolate cake for my hubby and all you chocolate-lovers out there! Yes, I know, I'm strange. 

But oh, it feels so GOOD to feed missionaries again!!!

Chocolate Buttermilk Pound Cake (adapted slightly from Passionate About Baking)
Printable Recipe

1 cup plain flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
heaping 1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
100ml buttermilk (use a glass measuring cup with ml)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Grease and flour the sides of a 8 inch springform or straight-sided round cake pan. Line bottom with parchment, and butter and flour parchment.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
Sift together the flour with the cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, then the vanilla.
With beater on low, add the flour and buttermilk alternately in three lots (flour, buttermilk, flour, buttermilk, flour)
Bake for 45-50 minutes till top is springy, and toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs. I suggest checking after 35 minutes, you do NOT want to overbake this cake!

Meanwhile, make the glaze…

100gms (3.5 oz) dark chocolate (I used Dove chocolate
3 tbsps cream

Gently simmer the cream and chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly until the chocolate just melts. Take off heat and stir briskly till nice and shiny. The glaze should be nice and thick, yet of flowing consistency. Add a little cream if the glaze is too thick, or a little chocolate if it is too thin. It will continue to thicken as it cools down.

Finishing off…
Overturn the cake out gently on rack, and remove the lining. Turn it back on another rack. Let it cool for about 15-20 minutes. Pour the glaze evenly over the hot cake, coaxing it all around, letting some drip over the sides. I served mine with homemade whipped cream.
Isn't ganache a gorgeous concoction?? It doesn't even matter that I was in a hurry. It still looks glossy, decadent, and delectable.
I have to admit, I over-baked mine a bit. Still learning the quirks of my VERY hot oven! But I promise, it was still scrumptious!
The flavor was deep, dark, and everything chocolate cake should be. Keep an eye on it, pull it out when it has more of a brownie-like texture, and you will melt for it!

Chocolate, delivered. 

Please join my Nibbles and Novels party tomorrow! It goes live at 10:00 tonight, for my friends on the other side of the ocean.  :)

3 comments :

  1. Can't wait to get home April, and read through your posts. For some reason on my iPad, the script shows on your green background and I can only read the top couple of inches!! This cake looks fab!! I have done that before, over committed myself meal wise!! The missionaries never mind having hot dogs and chips, as it is something they never get!! Everyone usually cooks them a roast dinner here!! They especially love my baked hotdogs!! Love and hugs! Xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea for a link up!! :) I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness - that looks perfect - I do LOVE good chocolate cake - buttermilk always makes cakes so tender!! lovely :))
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)