March 15, 2013

Lemon Garlic Brussels Sprouts

I have learned that I love Brussels sprouts! And I always knew I loved asparagus. Aren't those supposed to be the two most hated vegetables? Spinach probably makes the list too... Unfortunately The Geologist isn't quite as forgiving as I am. He absolutely loved the Brussels sprouts with bacon, we've had it half a dozen times and it's his favorite thing... until the sprouts are no longer "in season". Then it's a no-go. I can tell the difference, but I don't mind it. Hey, at least he likes them for a few months a year!

Sorry for not posting yesterday, the day kinda got away from me. Wednesday night was heart-breaking; I realized I had an infection in my jaw. I had to go to the tech rehearsal for my very first choir concert, which is tonight, knowing there was no way I'd be singing in it. It was awful. We aren't having a rehearsal between this and next week's concert, so I had to go to learn all the logistics and things... but it was miserable. The very faint silver lining was that I got to listen to the choir... when you're singing in one, it's kind of hard to really hear how it sounds, all together... and we are fantastic.  I'm so lucky to be part of this choir, and I hope I can sing next week! I might go to the concert tonight just to listen. Anyway, the point of all that was yesterday I had to find a doc who would see me (mine wasn't in the office) and give me antibiotics, was recovering from the emotional exhaustion of the night before, making phone calls to prepare for the move, then go to adoption training. Brussels sprouts slipped my mind. So I'm posting 2 today, because this is honestly too yummy to skip!!


Lemon Garlic Brussels Sprouts (adapted from Daydream Kitchen)
Printable Recipe

about 2 lbs Brussel sprouts
2 Tb olive oil
2 Tb butter (you can skip the butter and use more oil, but I like the flavor)
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lemon, zested and juiced
grated sharp, nutty cheese, like Gruyere, Parmesan, or Asiago
salt and pepper

Prepare the sprouts by trimming off the ends and peeling off the outer layer of leaves. Cut each one in half.
Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sprouts to the pan and saute for about 7-8 minutes on each side until the outer part is a caramelized brown and the inside is soft and fully cooked. Add the garlic half way through the cooking. Reduce the heat to low and add the lemon zest, juice, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and taste. Adjust seasoning if needed. Add the cheese on top and serve.
I never knew there were so many delicious ways to cook this under-appreciated veggie! Honestly, I like this one even better than the bacon one, but that's the light-and-lemon lover in me. 
These are delicious!! Tons of flavor, the sharp garlic and tangy lemon with the nutty cheese... Cheese and sprouts, who knew?? I could eat the whole batch myself, they're that good. I'll be back later today, with the BEST banana bread I have EVER had. And that's saying something!

2 comments :

  1. Oh my goodness. I just love Brussel sprouts and I'll have to give these a try for sure. Thank you so much for posting the recipe.
    LindaLee from
    CrossN' My Stitches

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brussels sprout lover here! I was an adult when I tasted my first one and it was love at first bite! I just adore them. I'm going to have to give this tasty recipe a go! Looks fab. Sorry you are experiencing so much problem with your tooth extractions. Hoping they are all better soon! xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)