March 28, 2013

Chocolate Strawberry Muffins

Okay, so you probably don't care about my opinions of certain TV shows, but I've got no one to share them with except the Geologist, so you get to read them today!



Have any of you been watching American Idol this season? We started watching towards the end of Scotty McCreery's season. We were in love with Phillip Phillips last season, so we watched all the way through for him, and were concerned about this season. I won't even start on the judges, it's been done. But there was some serious lack of talent compared to last season, until a handful of people emerged and are shining. We love Burnell, Candice, and Angie. Angie reminds me of my little sister. Burnell is just so sweet, and SO good. He truly uses his voice like an instrument, and his choices are spot on. Candice blows my mind. She's amazing. Her performance of "I Who Have Nothing" was one of the greatest things I've ever seen (or heard!) I've got it on repeat this morning, seriously. That and Casey Abrams' "Get Out". It's the happiest unrequited-love-song ever!

Then there's The Voice. I watched the auditions of the last 2 seasons, but there was no one good enough to keep watching for. And the judges went from funny to bickering. I gave it one more shot this season... it's so FUN now!!! They've got better singers, and the banter between the new judges is plain hilarious. Usher called Nashville a state, Blake tried to make his hair cooler, Justin Bieber gets brought up every five minutes, Shakira whipped out an "English to Country" dictionary, and Adam threatened to light himself on fire. Pure entertainment, people. I'm hooked on this season!!

And on these muffins. :) See how smooth I am??


Chocolate Strawberry Muffins (adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction)
Printable Recipe

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 and 1/4 cups plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
1 cup chocolate chips (I used dark, you can use milk or semi-sweet)

1/2 cup chocolate chips for drizzling

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line or grease a standard 12-cup muffin pan. Set aside.

Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg well, till pale with no bits of egg white left. Add the sugar and stir until completely incorporated. Drizzle in the melted butter, whisking slowly to combine while drizzling. Add the sour cream and whisk until just combined. Do not overmix.

Add the strawberries and chocolate chips to the dry ingredients, stirring/tossing a few times to make sure the strawberries are covered with flour. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in 2 or 3 batches,  carefully folding after each. Stir until the batter comes together, but try not to over mix. The batter will be very, very thick. A few spots of flour are fine.

Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups. They will be completely full. Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue to bake for 20-22 more minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.

While the muffins are cooling, place the 1/2 cup of chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl, and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir well, and put back in for another 30 seconds. Stir until all the chunks are melted, and drizzle over the muffins with a spoon.
Look at me being all artsy!! I like it... at the same time, I'm not sure if it's "me". I always think of what I should have done while I'm editing... like I should have put some strawberries in here somewhere, maybe the spoon covered in chocolate... maybe when Joe goes to school this fall *sniff* I'll be able to dress up my pics a bit.
But you know what? It's all about the food, really!
And these are some seriously yummy muffins!! I wasn't sure how the strawberries would turn out...
... but they stayed their sweet, sunny selves! They still tasted like fresh strawberries, which was my favorite part. I might even add another half a cup of them next time.
And of course there's the chocolate! Eat these warm, when the chocolate is still melty, and its' like strawberries and chocolate fondue in a muffin. Yum!! (Hey Mom, is this too many pictures? :)

1 comment :

  1. Hmm.... what a weird comment just above me. To each their own. Those muffins look seriously delish. I have issues with cooked strawberries. I think it's their texture or something, unless we are talking jam . . then I love them. Strawberry jam is the best. I could eat that til it comes out my ears along with fresh strawberry pie.

    I wish for you and your "boys" big and small and that beautiful fur baby of yours a very Happy and Blessed Easter! Love you to bits! xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)