August 24, 2012

Spiced Oatmeal Cookies

1 basket. 3 recipes. 6 dozen cookies. I am one satisfied woman! Ever since July, when I was living on ice and IV fluid, waiting for surgery, and chatting with my nurses, I have been determined to say thank you. The staff on the floor I visited 3 times this spring were exceptional. They remembered me and did the best they could to keep me happy, every time. So they deserved a big ole' basket of cookies. I was worried that there would be no one there I recognized, when I dropped them off... because how awkward would that be? "Hi, I'm a dork who is bringing you cookies..." Luckily one of my favorite nurses was there. And he remembered me!! Mission Complete.
I was going to go all fancy with this idea, but Stephen, in his infinite cookie wisdom, convinced me to keep it simple, and stick to the classics. So I baked Sugar Cookies, Chocolate Chip Cookies, and Oatmeal Cookies. But I couldn't be too simple, that just wouldn't be me. So I took some oatmeal inspiration from childhood. Remember those packets of instant flavored oatmeal? My favorite flavor was always Raisins and Spice. But I hated raisins!! (Still do.) I would pick around them. It was worth it, because that flavor had the best spices! I determined I would recreate spiced oatmeal in cookie form. No raisins.

Spiced Oatmeal Cookies (makes about 2 1/2 dozen)

1 1/2 cups  flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
2 sticks butter (1/2 pound), softened but still firm
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup cinnamon chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line a cookie sheet (or two). 

Whisk flour, salt, baking powder and spices together. Set aside. (I love pictures of spices!)
Beat butter until creamy. Add sugars and beat until fluffy. Beat in vanilla and eggs.

Stir in the flour mixture, then add oats and chips. Stir till combined. 
Form dough into balls, and bake until the edges of the cookies turn golden brown, about 22 to 25 minutes. (Halfway during baking, turn cookie sheets from front to back and also switch them from top to bottom, if baking two sheets at once) Cool on a wire rack.
Oooohhh, the smell while these were baking!! It was like back-to-school breakfasts, Fall, and Christmas all rolled into one... These are now one of my top 3 favorite cookies. Seriously.
I'm so glad I added ginger!! I was worried it would be too much. It wasn't. It was essential. Not adding it would have been spineless!
Do you have cinnamon chips where you live?? If not, I would be willing to send you some, just so you can make these. But you might want to check first :)
Careful not to overbake them; if you don't they will be warm and crisp and chewy, all at the same time!!
Who needs raisins? We have spices. And cinnamon chips. We're good.

Shared at This and That for Foodie Friends Friday!

6 comments :

  1. April, those cookies look fabulous. Oatmeal cookies are my absolute favourites and I am always willing to try a new recipe for them. I wish we could get cinnamon chips over here. We can't get any of the flavoured chips, not butterscotch or cinnamon, or peanutbutter! I know soooooo SAD! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look and sound delicious! I love cinnamon chips, too! And to Marie, I order mine from The Prepared Pantry because I don't find them in my stores either :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My oven is now preheating....I love, love, love oatmeal cookies. And you did a wonderful job with this recipe! I am pinning this one! Perfect recipe to share at Foodie Friends Friday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love oatmeal cookies but as they need raisins that is what I would put in them.. this looks great with the spices, have to try that next time. Love your story about taking the cookies to your nurses. As a nurse it is always nice to get treats... especially homemade treats as it is a nice thank you and we realize that we do have an impact in someone's life. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday.
    http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. All those in favor of sending Marie peanut butter chips, etc, say "aye".
    Don't forget those new dark chocolate nestle chips, they're awesome, and remember, the only white chocolate chips worth buying are Ghiradelli, unless you can find the few remaining Mrs. Fields varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These wonderful cookies were featured on Foodie Friends Friday Daily Dish Magazine today. http://www.foodiefriendsfridaydailydish.com/cookie-recipes/

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)