August 15, 2012

Orange Sticky Buns (Or Breakfast Cake... ?)

I spend these days in another world. A world of tall pines, golden aspens, craggy peaks, crackling leaves, crisp breezes, a washer and dryer... Even at the cabin, my mind is in Colorado. Remembering all the beautiful walks and hikes, all the places I want to show my family... the fantastic winter snowfalls... and not least my first holiday season in years that I can finally go all out, not being sick, or recovering... Treats to bake and share, a new home to decorate, fall and winter adventures to be had...Just you wait. My holidays will blow your socks off! Until then, this fabulous breakfast treat from The English Kitchen will give you a little taste, just like me, if you use a little spark of imagination.


Quick Sticky Buns (from The English Kitchen)

Glaze:
1/4 cup butter (half a stick)
1 Tb orange zest
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice

Buns:
2 cups flour
1 Tb baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk

Filling:
2 Tb softened butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground allspice

1/4 tsp ground ginger
Preheat your oven  to 450 degrees.

Butter a 8 inch round baking pan/dish. Place all glaze ingredients into a small pot/saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to make sure the butter is all melted and sugar is dissolved. Pour the glaze into your pie dish and set aside.

Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the milk, cream, and oil together. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the milk mixture. 

Stir with a fork or wooden spoon until it all comes together in a soft dough. Dump out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll  into about a 9 by 18 inch rectangle. 
Spread with the softened butter (fingers work great!) Mix the filling ingredients together with a fork and sprinkle evenly over the butter. Roll up from the long end, carefully and tightly. Cut into 9 pieces, about 2 inches wide. (Pretend I didn't cut 8!) 
Place into the pan with the glaze, cut side down. 
Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden brown. Place your serving plate upside down over the top, hold them together and flip over, removing the pie pan. Scoop any remaining glaze over the buns and serve warm.
Looks an awful lot like that Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Cake, doesn't it?? To be honest, I like this one EVEN BETTER!!
I close my eyes and imagine it's snowing... This smells like Christmas. And old-fashioned Christmas with an orange in my stocking... or the fabulous drink we make every year, with orange and lemon juice, full of spices...Technically I think it's called "Russian Tea", but we call it Wassail.
Just what I needed. Warm and fluffy, sweet, tangy, orange glaze, those fantastic spices!
Oh yes I DID!! Hey, you had to buy cream for this recipe anyway, you might as well use it! Besides, are you really counting calories at this point??
I know I'm not! It's the perfect finishing touch.
My boy agrees. He's finishing off the Picky One's leftovers. At least one of them gets it!

I'm going back to pretend snow. The more the merrier!

3 comments :

  1. Oh wow, your post transported me to fall and winter that wonderful holiday season that is crisp cool around the edges, warmed with spices and home cooking, and lovely cool, grey days. Oh, I can't wait until Autumn! Thanks for these little bits of holiday ^_^

    And I'll give you a blog design that'll hopefully be a worthy fit for the wonderful spirit you fill this blog's pages with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummo April. I am loving the orange touch! Your little boy is such a cutie. He looks like he has a wonderful personality! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this today. The dough is really nice to work with, as far as rolling out goes. I baked them for 17 minutes. The glaze was nice and gooey. I would like to try these in a muffin tin and put some of the glaze in each one before putting in the rolled up dough. I like that this is a non-yeast recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)