January 8, 2014

Crescent Sausage Bites

Well, the break is over, it's back to real life. As much as I enjoy having time to myself again (even if it is only a few hours!) I am always a little sad when Christmas break is over. I miss having my husband and my kids around all the time. I miss sleeping in and staying up late, being spontaneous, eating whatever I want... But eventually we have to be grown-up and responsible, right?

I promised you pictures, and here they are! It took us longer than expected (and we learned to have a flexible budget with home makeover projects!) but I am head-over-heels in love with my new kitchen! It's GORGEOUS!!

Before: Grey-green walls, brown trim...

After: White! Glorious White!

Look how bright and beautiful!! My super-studly Geologist spent hours and hours cutting out those sheets of beadboard, and all of that trim. I did 90% of the painting, which took me forever, since I am a perfectionist. :)


He ripped out the horrible tile windowsill and installed a frame around the window, same trim as around my pantry door, which just might be my favorite part of the whole makeover!




There are still some details to replace, like the hardware on the cabinets and drawers, the faucet, the light above the sink, and someday the countertops. I'm holding out for granite (that sample under my flowerpot), so it will be a while!

 What do you THINK?! Isn't it fabulous??



Crescent Sausage Bites
Printable Recipe

1 lb breakfast sausage
2 packages classic crescent rolls
8 oz cream cheese, cut into chunks
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
pinch of red pepper flakes

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line/grease a baking sheet, set aside.

Crumble and brown the breakfast sausage over medium heat, seasoning with salt, pepper, and pepper flakes about halfway through cooking. Drain and return to the stove. Add the cream cheese, stirring till softened and thoroughly mixed.
Unroll one package of crescent rolls and place on a baking sheet. Press the seams together with yoru fingers to seal them. 
Spread the sausage mixture over the dough, leaving about a 1/2-inch border along the edges.
Unroll the remaining package of crescent rolls and place on top of the sausage mixture. Press the edges together to seal, and press the seams together. 
Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until crescent roll dough is deep golden brown. (If you pull it out too early, the dough will be soggy on the inside) Cut into small squares and serve.
Now, I've said before that I'm not the "101 Ways to use Crescent Rolls" girl. In fact, I hardly ever use them. Nothing wrong with them, I just usually prefer rolls from scratch. And when my Mom first made this recipe for me, I thought it sounded awful. But oh goodness gracious, I love this breakfast!!
This is a very basic recipe and it appears all over the internet. I have no idea what the original source is, but it is genius. Delicious, decadent breakfast genius!!
Warm, creamy cream cheese, savory sausage, flakey buttery crispy crust... You'll love this one, and it's a cinch to whip up. New Year's Resolution-friendly, perhaps not. But oh so yummy!!

4 comments :

  1. The kitchen looks amazing! I love the breadboard so much! Definitely, hold out for the granite countertops! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen is shaping up very nicely! I wish I had that much counterspace! All my magic happens in about a 12 inch square space! It's quite annoying at times! Love the beadboard and the trim! Just lovely and those sausage squares look pretty tasty too! SCRUMMO!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man! Those look amazing. I love making biscuits and gravy, and this looks like a neat easier version. I was surprised at the prepackaged crescent rolls from you, but sometimes the easy way is the good way haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kitchen looks beautiful and I LOVE the trim! Those sausage bites looks delicious too. Just another wonderful recipe from you. I love it! Congrats again on your new home and new kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)