January 23, 2014

Cheesy Skillet Potatoes & Onions

Dearie me, it's been a long week! And there is a long weekend ahead... I think I'm coming down with something. There's a bug going around the blogosphere... people are taking breaks here, there, and everywhere... I'm thinking about joining them. Not for long, maybe a month. I just haven't been quite "up to snuff" ever since the move, and the Christmas holiday. I think I might need a break to get back on top of life, re-start healthy habits, and refresh my mind. I want to be the best blogger I can be, for you guys! And sometimes that means taking a short vacation. What do you think? Think you'll stick around? I would hope all of you do, but as long as most of you do, I'll be a happy girl! :)


Cheesy Skillet Potatoes & Onions(adapted slightly from Hizzoners Deli)
Printable Recipe

2  tablespoons butter
about a teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves
1 large onion, sliced a little more than 1/4 inch thick (we like sweet onions for this)
1 lb red potatoes, washed and sliced very thin
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
1/2 cup crumbled feta
1 cup shredded mozzarella (don't use preshredded!)
kosher salt and black pepper

Preheat your oven to 400°. Start heating an oven-safe skillet (like cast iron!) over medium-high heat. Place the butter in to melt. Place the onion slices in a single layer over the melted butter, cut side down.  Cook for 5-8 minutes, till the onions are softened. Combine the potatoes, oil, cheeses, salt and pepper in a bowl stir till evenly distributed and coated.

Pour the potato mixture over the onions, spread evenly, and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Turn upside down to serve...
Yeah, this is supposed to come out of the pan in a lovely little tart shape, all stuck together with layers of onion and potato... I've made it a few times, and it never comes out that way. Even with my skillet all fixed up and nonstick. So I changed the name! Because it's deee-licious either way!
Just a little bit creamy, cheesey, fork tender and delicious! The onions just might be my favorite part though. No bite is complete without a bit of sweet, caramelized onion!
Not as rich as a gratin, pretty darn easy, a great week-night alternative of dressed-up potatoes. Give it a try!!

4 comments :

  1. Yes April, we'll stick around - sometimes it's good to take a break then you're fresh and ready to go!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. As if we would ever abandon you dear friend! NEVER You take as long as you need.

    These potatoes look seriously good. I have never met a potato dish I didn't fall in love with.
    Love you much my friend. You take all the rest you need. We'll all still be here, waiting and drooling. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so good. Wow, your blog makes me hungry. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)