August 11, 2013

Blueberry Fool

Gah, sorry this is late!! Yesterday was supposed to be picture-taking day, but I took a nap... and slept for three hours!! By the time I woke up, our evening thunderstorm had rolled in and the light was gone. Sigh. My blog is truly at the mercy of the weather! Without good light, I have no pictures. Anyway. Better late than never!


Blueberry Fool (adapted slightly from Bunny's Warm Oven)
Printable Recipe

3 cups fresh blueberries
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
Pinch of salt
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
3Tb powdered sugar
1 small carton (about 5-7 oz) plain Greek yogurt, regular or nonfat
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Additional blueberries, optional

In a saucepan, combine berries, granulated sugar, cornstarch, salt and lemon juice. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until sugar dissolves, berries have softened and juices have thickened slightly, about 10 minutes. (I like to crush about half of my berries while cooking) Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour. This step can be prepared up to a day in advance.

Just before serving, beat the cream and powdered sugar until soft peaks form. Add yogurt and vanilla and beat until medium peaks form and the mixture is creamy and very thick. If you have trouble getting the cream to whip up, try chilling your bowl and beaters before whipping the cream.

Using a large spatula, gently fold blueberry mixture into cream mixture until just barely combined, with streaks remaining. Divide mixture among 6 bowls, top with additional blueberries, if desired, and serve.
Just look at those beautiful, luscious swirls of blueberry goodness! So pretty! I had never made or tasted a fool before, but I saw a few pictures on Pinterest and knew this was right up my alley. Lightly sweetened creamyness with rich fruity swirls? Sign me up! I had to try one.
I absolutely love this dessert. It's quick to throw together, cool and creamy and light as a feather. But don't let that fool you, it's pretty rich too!!
Definitely one of my new favorite summer desserts! I'd love to know why it's called a "Fool" though...

1 comment :

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)