February 22, 2013

Simple Tiramisu

Today I am posting my first ever recipe request! I am excited, this was an adventure for me! Someone (Hello, Anonymous!) requested a simpler Tiramisu recipe after The Geologist's botched attempt at a competition last week. I have never actually tasted tiramisu before this, can you believe it? But I am always up for a challenge! I see what they meant, I found recipes for this dessert that you had to start two days ahead! That's just silly!! Then I started searching simpler recipes, and many called for raw eggs, which I know gives many people the heebie-jeebies, so I kept up my quest... I found one with eggs, it said you could skip the eggs, I was still skeptical... and then I went out to buy my ladyfingers. Lo and behold, a recipe on the box! And what does it use to make the mascarpone filling fluffy and creamy?? Whipping cream! Ding Ding!! We had a winner! And it just makes sense, doesn't it? So here is my tweaked easy-as-pie tiramisu recipe, complete with my thoughts, tips, and variations. I hope you have fun with it!


Simple Tiramisu
Printable Recipe

1 cup of cold heavy whipping cream
8 oz mascarpone cheese
generous pinch of salt
20-40 ladyfingers (depending on how big yours are! I needed 40, mine were skinny)
1 cup brewed coffee (you can do de-caffeinated if you'd like!)
1/2 cup sugar
cocoa powder
bittersweet or semisweet chocolate

*Optional: 2 Tb coffee liqueur, amaretto, or 1 tsp vanilla

Beat mascarpone, salt, and sugar together until smooth and slightly fluffy. While beating, gradually add the cream, and beat for a few more minutes until thick and fluffy.

Using half of your ladyfingers, quickly dip each one in coffee and line the bottom of an 8 inch square baking dish.
Very gently and carefully, spread half of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers.
Add another layer of coffee-dipped ladyfingers, the rest of the mascarpone, and dust with cocoa powder and optional chocolate shavings. Cover tightly, refrigerate overnight and serve cold.
Tips and Variations:
~ The coffee flavor was just a hair strong for me. Next time I would brush the ladyfingers with coffee instead of dipping. You can do either.
~ You can add a teaspoon of vanilla to the mascarpone, or coffee liqueur/amaretto to the coffee. I have seen recipes with both, but none with the vanilla. That's just me.
~You could add a layer of chocolate shavings and/or cocoa on top of the first layer of mascarpone. I did!
New food adventures are fun!! Allrighty, so here are my thoughts: first, is that easy or WHAT??
Second, my ladyfingers were very very light and crispy. I expected them to be like little fingers of cake. I was very worried when I dunked them in coffee that I would have a mess of soggy mush the next morning, but like magic, they turned into fluffy cake! I am amazed! I mentioned that the coffee flavor was a bit strong for me, so I would brush them instead of dunking next time. I don't drink coffee, but actually do love the flavor, I just thought it overwhelmed the other elements.
Mmmm, mascarpone... for some reason I was expecting it to be closer to cream cheese. Nope!! No tang! It has a very light, fresh, sweet cream flavor. It was delicious, but I would add some vanilla next time. I'm pretty sure that's not authentic, but who cares. I loved the little taste of the bittersweet chocolate in the middle too. I'm glad I threw caution to the winds and added it there.
Overall, I really enjoyed it! The only reason I could possibly see for making this more complicated is if you wanted to make your own ladyfingers. I'm not that ambitious yet. 

8 comments :

  1. Wow! Just for me! Thanks so much! I can't wait to try this for my son. By the way, did you find the ladyfingers in your grocer's bakery section or in the cookie isle? YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it!! Egg free, super simple. I aim to please :) I found them in the cookie aisle of Whole Foods. Good luck!!

      Delete
  2. I have never tried Tiramisu before! Sad to say. I definitely need to remedy that soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh! This looks so good! :) I adore tiramisu- it is probably my most favorite dessert.
    And this looks so easy to make- pinned it to try later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to try making your own lady fingers April! They are so easy and so good! My ex boss lived on lady fingers, coz she was a lady, NOT! lol ANyways, your tiramisu looks just perfect. I, too, love the flavour of coffee as long as it is not too strong and often use decaf for my baked goods. Don't get me started on Mascarpone cheese. It is soooo good and soooo bad at the same time! Love and hugs to you my lovely friend. Make the lady fingers! Go for it! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you are killin' me! I love love love this recipe. What delicious ingredients. Thanks for an easy way to make this yummy dessert!Thanks for stopping by and joining TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS and sharing your easy version of Tiramisu.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just recently started following your blog! this cake is just so lovely I'm thinking of making it for a birthday party coming up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray!! So glad you're here, and thank you for leaving a comment! :) I'm actually adjusting the recipe to add a pinch of salt to the mascarpone filling, I hope you like it!

      Delete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)