September 2, 2014

Weekly Menu Sept 2

Source: acorns-and-tea

For today, Sept 2 ...

Outside my window... It's warm and sunny, the air is absolutely soaked with late summer sunshine; I could almost drink it. But if you sit in the shade, the breezes have just a hint of extra crisp coolness, that very first harbinger of Fall. 


A peek into my day... We seem to have caught a late summer cold! It started with little Stephen, a day or two of sore throat before some nasty coughing and fever... The Geologist caught it the next day, and Joe the day after that. I have no idea how I escaped, though I have a few more days while I'm in the clear! Usually I catch everything!! Everyone is home from work and school today, resting and drinking LOTS of water... although making those boys rest (including the big one!) is not an easy task! Beastie needs a bath and floors need to be vacuumed, no rest for the nursemaid!

Source: Pinterest
I am thinking... I have fruit trees on the brain. Especially apples. We had dinner at the home of one of The Geologist's co-workers, and they have this HUGE, gorgeous yard. Half of it is a bit of a wild, wooly wilderness, the other half has a lawn, and apple trees. FIVE apple trees!! I am apple-green with envy!! Between their yard, reports of backyard fruit trees from Facebook friends, and counting the days till the local orchards open for picking, I have made up my mind: I need fruit trees. We have an apple tree hanging over our fence, but the fruit is still walnut sized and I doubt it's going to be worth much. Considering how obsessed I've become with canning and local, in-season produce, I just need my own supply!! Ideally I'd like to have an apple tree, pear tree, and plum tree. I don't ever want to have so much of one type that I don't know what to do with it all, so one of each sounds perfect!! Now to research the care and feeding of fruit trees... Apples are up first!

In the kitchen... We made up a giant batch of Homemade Salsa yesterday, it might be even better than last year's! I'll keep you posted. There is this fantastic new stand at the farmer's market, where you can fill a good-sized plastic bag with anything, and it's only 10$ a bag! We made more salsa than last year, for about a third as much money! Ahhh, I love farmer's markets so much. There are Colorado peaches ripening in paper bags in the pantry, it's time for my all-time favorite Peach Vanilla Bean Jam, I can't wait!!

I am going... NOWHERE!!! Sorry, the capitals have a point. I mentioned a while ago that there was going to be an anti-fracking bill coming up in September that, if passed, would almost certainly send us off to Houston. This was breaking my heart!! I love it here so much, and I adore my house!! Luckily, a compromise was made, and the bill was withdrawn, and we can stay!! And there was MUCH rejoicing. :)

Source: Pinterest
Around the house... We've been trying not to get too worried about the possibility of having to move, but plans and dreams for our home had still kind of been put on hold. It was hard to imagine long-term goals when we weren't sure if we would even be here another year... but now that we have, exterior plans have kicked back into high gear! We'd like to try and stain the brick and paint the siding this Fall, and then it's time to tackle the back yard. We need a tall wooden fence, and have decided that instead of a wooden deck, we're going to have a concrete/paved back patio area, extending a long the house, with one end framed by a pergola. I would love to have a little arbor gate on one side of the house, some fruit trees, and more lilacs. We want to leave the lawn as big and open as possible... ah, whenever it all comes together (it will probably be years!) it's going to be heavenly!

I am thankful... Bracken's feet are doing better!! We've been soaking them with epsom salts every day, and only one is still oozing and yucky. All of the others are healing!! She still hates her booties but they stay on and she leaves them alone. Thank goodness!! 

One of my favorite things... Mmmm, summer sweet corn!! I have spent a few years getting pulled every which way, getting excited about ALL of the amazing fruits and veggies in season in Summer, but this year it has come down to two: Peaches and Corn. Hands-down, the things I look forward to most. I could have fresh corn on the cob with every meal, dripping with butter, sprinkled with pepper... YUM!! Who cares if it gets stuck in my teeth?? Who cares if husking is labor-intensive and messy?? It is so worth it for those sweet, juicy kernels. I need to go get more...

Try your own Daybook! Get ideas here!

7 comments :

  1. Love your day book as always April. I love fresh corn on the cob also, but sad to say you don't find it here. Lots of other goodness however. We have a plum, a pear and am apple tree. Self propagating and this year we have oodles of fruit. Not overwhelming amounts, but just right. Glad to hear Brackens nails are getting better and even happier to know you won't have to move! Love you!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your garden, dear friend, is the envy if my heart. You have EVERYTHING!!! I'll start with an apple tree and see how we do :) thank you (and Mitzi!) for your kind comments last week! I look forward to many more scrumptious recipes from that glorious fruit of yours :) *hug*

      Delete
  2. Now I want to run out and buy fresh fruits and veggies. It is our city's farmer's market today and I am always stuck at work. It pretty much closes up by the time I get off of work. Darn, darn, darn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary!! I feel your pain, our local one in Utah was like that, it was at weird hours and the day kept changing and we missed it constantly. Take an extra long lunch break one of these days!! ;)

      Delete
  3. We just learned that the natural gas testing (wouldn't let me type actual word) that is keeping you in your home is not coming to Western NC, at least for now, and we are ecstatic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry you felt the need to leave such a negative comment. I realize there are many views and opinions on fracking and I am not trying to start a battle about that here, I'm just thankful that my family doesn't have to leave this place we love, after working so hard to get here.

      Delete
  4. Hi April,
    Saw a comment you left somewhere and reminded me to come see what you were up to! Hope you will get some use out of what I sent you, pie season is coming. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)