December 5, 2013

Chewy Molasses Spice Cookies & Black's Bakeware Review

Gah, so much going on today! I need to clean out the fridge and microwave, clean bathrooms, take the boys shopping for a donation present for the concert tonight, make dinner, GO SING!!! Then tomorrow we pack all day, go sing again, and Saturday we're out of here! We really couldn't have picked a much worse weekend to move. The highs are only in the teens. We're going to all get frostbite. Oh well, it's worth it!! Sorry I don't have much cleverness today, my brain is too full to be clever! BUT I updated our family blog with pictures from our trip to DC, camping trip, and our Fall/Halloween week, plus a last summer adventure (look right before the football game). So you can go look at pictures while I rush around like a crazy person!

Chewy Molasses Spice Cookies
Printable Recipe

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 rounded tsp cinnamon
scant 1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup molasses

extra 1/2 cup sugar

Whisk together the flour, baking soda, spices and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl (or stand mixer), cream together the butter and sugars until smooth. Beat in the egg, then stir in the vanilla and molasses. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients. Cover and refrigerate dough 1-3 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll chilled dough into balls, and roll them in the extra sugar. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto a lined/lightly greased cookie sheet, and flatten slightly with fingertips. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Guess what guess what!! I've been asked to do my very first product review! A company called Black's Bakeware asked if I would like to try out their brand-new cookie sheet and let them know what I think. So here we go!
There are a few things that make these cookie sheets special. The first is pretty clear: What are all those spots?? Well, they're "dimples", and they're pretty awesome. First, they tell you where to put your cookies. Which seems simple, but it helps make sure you don't have cookies running together. It creates a little air pocket under each cookie that somehow helps them bake up more evenly, and get this: it's nonstick! In fact, it's all-natural nonstick, because it doesn't have the thick chemical coating most nonstick pans have. As long as you let the cookie cool completely, it just slides right off, with no spray or paper or anything!

(I did have one batch of cookies stick, but it was an exceptionally soft dough). My favorite part about the dimples is that they turn the sheet into a cooling rack. You can place it right on your counter, and it's held up just enough to let air circulate underneath and cool your cookies!

The only flaw I can see is that while these pans are dishwasher safe (which is awesome) mine came out discolored. Which doesn't matter tons to me, but it might to some people. These pans are still in the testing stage though, and the Black's Bakeware people told me they're working on that issue. I will say that when they have these pans all ready for mass distribution, I am absolutely buying another one! You can find our more about these pans and their story (which is kind of fun) at www.blacksbakeware.com. Thank you for letting me review your cookie sheet, Black's Bakeware!
Now. These, are my favorite, FAVORITE cookies in the whole world! I've pretty much been living on them for a week. I've made four batches. As soon as our Thanksgiving leftovers were gone I made another batch. They're that good.
You could call them ginger cookies, but they're molasses spice to me! They stay soft and chewy forever, slightly crispy on the outside, deep sweet molasses and LOTS of spices, YUM. The holidays in a cookie!
I'm obsessed. 

2 comments :

  1. YUM.
    Good luck with the move! Don't freeze!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on the move April! Hope all runs as smooth as can be for you all. Try not to stress. Hope your concert goes well also. These are my favourite cookies. We always called them molasses crinkles. You should try them dipped in white chocolate! Out of this world! What a really neat baking sheet. You lucky girl! It's about time someone started giving you reviews to do. Way to go! That's recognition!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)