March 3, 2014

Weekly Menu March 3

Source: simplypix

This week we have:
Soft-Baked Funfetti Sugar Cookies
Weeknight Chicken Pot Pies
Cherry Crumble Bars

For today, March 3 ...


Outside my window...Well, Colorado Spring strikes again! There's no "in like a lion, out like a lamb" here. It's more like a lion-lamb seesaw. Snow this weekend, sunny and warm as can be today, with a forecast of snow on Wednesday and back up to warm by Friday. I'll say this, it's never boring!

I am thinking... Hello Everyone!! It's good to be back! It's going to be a looooong week. The Geologist is out of town till Sunday, so we're on our own! Which can be lovely or hellish, depending on the boys. And I will stay up too late every night watching chick flicks, Bollywood, and Sherlock. Yes, I've already seen Season Three (HAVE YOU?! Oh My Jeepers!!!) but I need a good man to keep me company, right? :) Heck, I might just have them play on a loop in the background. That voice... *sigh*

I am looking forward to... My garden is like a surprise party just waiting to happen! I have a rose bush, two lilac bushes, and bulbs of some kind are blooming out front! I can't wait to see what color my roses and lilacs are, what kind of bulbs are hidden around, what my cherry trees look like blooming... It's so exciting!! I always wanted roses and lilacs and even blooming trees, but I always thought I would have to plant them. I never dreamed my dream house would actually have them already! How lucky can one girl get?!

Source: sutton15445
I am thankful... Thankful for my break, thankful for feeling refreshed and re-motivated, and thankful to YOU for sticking around! Surprisingly, instead of losing readers while I was away, I gained a few!! Hello New Readers, welcome to my little blog of silliness and scrumptiousness! I'm thrilled to have you here! :)

I am learning... This house has a few more quirks than we expected. I'm still in love, but now we come to the "work" part of the relationship. Before we re-paint the living and dining room and put up wainscoting, it looks like we're going to have to tear holes in the walls. Yikes! Turns out there is NO insulation in our walls, so we need to install some. No wonder it's a bit chilly... and our power bill is painful... The windows need replacing too... The pretty stuff will have to wait!

In the kitchen... I didn't bake as much during my break as I thought I would. There were pain issues and visitors and distractions, but I did get a few recipes saved! I plan on adding to that this week, trying out a new brioche recipe (Fingers Crossed!!) and some lemony things. When the Geologist is away, I can indulge in my lemony obsession as much as I want! (He gets tired of lemony things rather quickly)

I am hoping... Well, our homestudy is officially done, we've met with our certification worker, and our case officially gets decided on the 11th. It goes to the certification board, and they decide whether or not we get to be potential parents for a little girl who needs a family. It's so stressful, but at least the end has a DATE!! So obviously, I am HOPING that we are approved!! After that, the waiting begins again, but we're one HUGE step closer to adopting. Fingers crossed, and wish us luck!

Source: Pinterest
One of my favorite things... Asparagus!! It is officially my favoritest of veggies, and it will very soon be in season! The Geologist used to scorn asparagus, and while it still isn't his favorite thing ever, he'll eat them roasted with kosher salt, pepper, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and a sprinkle of fresh Parmesan. Yum. Strawberries and asparagus are two of my favorite things about spring. Hey, this is me we're talking about. I associate seasons with food. There's a reason I have a food blog, and not a fashion blog! :)

Try your own Daybook! Get ideas here!

6 comments :

  1. Love your blog. Thank you ever so much for the Pain Brioche plug and link. That is so awesome of you. I know two lovely girls that live in Colorado Springs. I will forward your blog on to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet!! I am so honored that you stopped by, I adore your blog! It's one of my very favorites! I'm really excited to try both your brioche recipe AND those mouthwatering almond buns you made with the brioche dough, and you'll get an every bigger plug when I blog them :) *hug*

      Delete
  2. So glad you are back now after your break April! I am looking forward to seeing pictures of what "shows up" in your garden as the year progresses. The first year with a garden is always one surprise after another! I missed you! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back! I have missed you! I love asparagus too. I could eat it plain. I remember my Grandpa used to grow it in his garden. I love that Sherlock show too, but then I love ALL things Sherlock Holmes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks Hilary, I missed your comments! :) I wonder if I could grow asparagus here... Colorado is a little tricky... :)
      ~April

      Delete
  4. America's Test Kitchen Family cookbook has a recipe for broiled asparagus with balsamic glaze that sounds really similar to what your husband likes, if you're looking for a bit of a variation... They have you reduce down balsamiq vinegar and olive oil, and then top the asparagus with that, as well as parmesan like you mentioned... We're eating it now so I thought to mention it to you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)