April 6, 2013

Cinnamon Chocolate Bundt Cake

I love my life. It's been bumpy, and some times have been rougher than others. I'm sure you've been able to sense that I haven't been quite as happy and bouncy this past month. But I still love my life. I've wanted to be "just" a Mom since I was ten, and now I am, to the two sweetest, smartest, most fun boys on the planet. I married my best friend, truly, and he is still my best friend. They think I'm awesome and gorgeous no matter how I feel about myself. I have the most gorgeous, snuggliest, sweetest dog ever. We live in a gorgeous place that ISN'T TEXAS!! I lived through The Geologist's college years (by the skin of my teeth :) and I get to share my favorite thing, FOOD, with hundreds of people, every day! And make new friends doing it! Who knew, right? Life is good. It remains so. Especially when cake is involved.



Cinnamon Chocolate Bundt Cake (adapted slightly from The Food Libarian)
Printable Recipe

1 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
1/4 c plus 1 T (or 5 T) cocoa (I have used both Dutch processed and natural cocoa with fine results)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 c buttermilk
1 t baking soda
2 eggs
1 t vanilla

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 10-12 cup Bundt or tube pan.

Combine water, oil, butter and cocoa in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir till smooth and remove from heat.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Add the chocolate mixture to the flour and mix until combined.Add the buttermilk and baking soda and mix well. 

In a small bowl, beat together the eggs and vanilla. Add to the batter and mix till combined.
Pour batter into your prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, or with a few crumbs. Cool in pan. Top with a dusting of powdered sugar or a simple glaze of powdered sugar and milk/cream. (I used cream, and added 1/2 tsp vanilla, and sprinkled with mini chocolate chips.)
Aren't the mini chocolate chips cute?? The frosting was supposed to do that pretty, drizzling-down-the-sides thing, but I made it a tad too thick. Doesn't matter, it melted down the sides a few minutes later!
I don't have any pictures of the slices, I apologize. I took it to a friend's house for Easter dinner, and it's not exactly good form to show up with a cake already cut into!
But let me assure you, it was delicious. Maybe it's that boiling step at the beginning, but this was one of the most moist cakes I've ever had! And yet, it wasn't wet, or soggy, or dense, just fantastickly soft and moist. (Yes, I am aware that isn't a word.) Flavor-wise, it reminded me a lot of Texas sheet cake, but better. More chocolatey, with that wonderful cinnamon accent. Yum!!
I snacked on it for days. It reminded me of hot chocolate, because I always put cinnamon in mine. Truly scrumptious, and a simple showstopper! If you like chocolate cake, add this one to your list. You'll keep it, I promise.

10 comments :

  1. You had me at chocolate cake. ;) Hope you're doing well, love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this is how a beautiful bundt cake should look like huh?..lol...congratulations !!!! If you want to see how an ugly bundt cake look like...please check my post from yesterday, oh boy how much I envy yours!...but kidding aside...looks beautiful and delicious! Thank you for sharing April, Hugs, Lizy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake is beautiful April. Just like you. You don't have to be perfect to be beautiful. In fact there is often great beauty to be found in imperfection! I have put this on my bucket list! (of things to make or bake before I die!)
    Love you much. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my! that looks so good!

    www.studentswife.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummly!..I so want a hugh slice of this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your indomitable spirit (is it funny I learned that word from Balto? anyways...) and thanks so much for sharing your blessings with us. Keep it up, you've really found your 'niche'/gift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love a slice of cake right now. The mini chips are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUMMY!! What a great looking choc. cake! Thank you for the recipe. Just came by from On the Menu Monday. I'm your newest follower, hope you like to follow back. Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah wow, looks so delicious!
    Bundt cake always reminds me of Sabrina the Teenage Witch haha, we don't have it in the UK.
    But I think this may be on my 'to try' list.

    Best wishes,
    Danielle
    http://thesweetnesstalks.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just thought I would let you know, I made this cake a day or so ago. But somehow I managed to not even SEE the eggs on the ingredient list or the instructions until much later. So, I made it without eggs. Since it didn't have eggs in it I felt quite justified in having the batter from the bowl and it was fabulous! I also baked it in a 13 x 9" pan. I iced it with a standard cream cheese icing from 1 stick butter, 3 oz. cream cheese, box of powdered sugar, a teaspoon of vanilla, and some cream. This is the best cake I have had in a very long time. Thank you SO much!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)