March 8, 2013

Cranberry Upside-Down Cake

Sorry for going MIA on you, it's been a rough two days. My healing wisdom teeth holes took a turn for the worse, which kinda destroyed life for bit. Funny how such small things can have such a huge effect! At this point, I almost wish I hadn't gotten them taken out... but I'm sure in a few more weeks I'll be glad I did! The most frustrating part is planning all these awesome meals that I can't eat. Argh!! I've been spending a LOT of time on Pinterest as a result, pinning all the food I wish I was eating right now. You know life is rough when Kraft Mac & Cheese tastes fabulous. Bleck!

This was a really fun recipe to try out my new camera!!! I love it. I wish someone could give me a crash course in food photography, so I knew how to make the best use of it! Stuff like apertures and shutter speed and something to do with whiteness?? Not a clue. But I love it. And I won't take pictures with food all over my hands with this one!!


Cranberry Upside-Down Cake (adapted from Dorie Greenspan)
Printable Recipe

1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp ginger
1/4 tsp salt
6 Tb light brown sugar, packed
1 & 3/4 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature (8 & 6 Tb)
1/2 cup plus 2 Tb sugar
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
2 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen (if frozen, do not thaw)
1 Tb orange zest
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 whole milk
1/3 cup red currant jelly

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and position a rack in the middle. Spread the nuts out on a baking sheet and place in oven to toast while it preheats. Line and grease an 8 inch cake pan well. (If you don't have an 8 inch cake pan, and decide to use a springform pan like silly me, make sure you line it very well with foil, or you'll have a puddle of glaze all over your pan!)

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl and set aside.

Combine the brown sugar and 6 Tb butter in a small saucepan. Heat on medium heat until butter melts, sugar is dissolved and mixture is boiling and looks foamy. Pour this evenly over the bottom of the cake pan, sprinkle nuts over, then cranberries, then orange zest. Press gently into the sugar mixture so you have an even layer.
Beat the remaining stick (8 Tb) of butter until smooth. Add the remaining sugar and continue to beat until pale and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition and scraping down the bowl as needed. Mix in vanilla. Reduce speed to low and add half of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add the milk, mixing until just combined, then mix in the rest of the dry ingredients. 

Pour the batter over the cranberries and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. 
Place pan on a baking sheet at bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the cake is deep gold and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Remove it from the oven and run a blunt knife between the sides of the pan and the cake. Carefully turn the cake out onto a serving platter. If any of the berries stick to the pan just scrape them off with a table knife and return them to the cake.
Warm the jelly in a small saucepan (or in the microwave) over low heat and gently brush the glaze over the hot cake. Let cool a bit and serve with ice cream or homemade whipped cream.
Isn't it PRETTY?!
Cranberries are so photogenic. 
Oh, and if you are a silly goose and don't grease your pan, you'll lose the sides of your cake. Just fyi. 
Shall we continue to admire the cranberries? I promise I won't post this many pictures all the time, just indulge me today. :)
Yummy, warmly spiced golden cake, moist and delicious...
Goes fabulously with homemade vanilla whipped cream! Served piping hot I can imagine it would be scrumptious with some vanilla ice cream... mmm....
Crunchy nuts, tart, tangy berries, hints of orange and ginger, positively delectable. A simple showstopper for sure!

2 comments :

  1. Congrats on the new Camera April!! I always say I am not going to get food on my camera, but . . . I do. It's hard not to because I just get stuck in and start snapping away. It's like an illness!! lol

    That cake looks lovely. You cannot beat Dorie Greenspan for beautiful recipes that work fabulously. Did I tell you she is a personal friend of mine? Tis true. Cross my heart. She has a piece of my artwork hanging in her kitchen, or one of her kitchens at any rate!

    Did you end up with dry sockets from your extractions? If so, how very painful. I hope you are back to feeling much better soon. (((((Hugs)))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness I hope you're feeling a bit better. There is NOTHING worse than wisdom tooth pain is there?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)