May 15, 2016

Raspberry Rhubarb Crunch

I. Love. Rhubarb. Unfortunately, it is kinda hard to find around here, at least reliably. If it wasn't so early in the year, I'm sure I could count on our awesome farmers markets, but sadly, they start up right after rhubarb season is ended. So every time I go to the grocery store I eye the tiny space that holds the rhubarb for a few weeks... usually they're too big, too tough, too old, too green... But every once in a while I get lucky, and they're just right, slim and snappy and ruby red. And when they are, I bring home a big bag and make this, my favorite rhubarb dessert ever! You could use just rhubarb; or add strawberries, the classic combo, but I love the tartness of rhubarb and like to complement it with tangy raspberries. Either way, it'll be delicious!!

Raspberry Rhubarb Crunch (adapted from The English Kitchen)
Printable Recipe

1 cup flour
3/4 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, melted (1 stick)
2 cups of diced fresh rhubarb
2 cups fresh/frozen raspberries

For the sauce:
1 cup sugar
2 Tb corn starch
1 cup of water
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 8-9 inch square baking dish (or a nice big round one). Set aside.
Stir the flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, and spices together. Stir in the melted butter until completely combined, with no more dry bits. Press half of the crumbs into the prepared baking dish. Place the dish into the oven to toast while the oven preheats, or for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool a few minutes, and scatter the rhubarb and raspberries over the bottom crust.

Combine the sugar, corn flour, water and vanilla in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until thick and clearish. Pour this mixture evenly over top of the fruit. Top with the remainder of the crumb mixture, pressing it down gently.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown and bubbling at the edges.
Let sit about 15 minutes to cool. Serve warm with ice cream, custard, or just plain cream! Yum!!
Sweet, tart, summery heaven on a plate!! The WHOLE family loved this one! I must be honest, when I looked at the actual recipe, it seemed too simple to me. A sugar cornstarch syrup? Whaaat?? I should not have doubted. My dear friend Marie is the MASTER of simple! She can take a handful of ingredients and create absolute magic. Don't mess with this one too much folks, I swear it's fabulous!
And so pretty!! The crumbly stuff by itself is scrumptious. Really. In fact, I'm logging it away for use in future recipes. I just know I can create something awesome with it. Crunchy and cinnamony and warm and heaven! Of course, you can just use rhubarb for this. In fact, I would bet you could use any fruit or berry you wanted! You know how I like to play with things. I just wanted to try raspberries instead of the classic strawberries. YUM!! 
You've GOT to try this one. Seriously. If it is the first, next, or ONLY thing you make with rhubarb this year, you won't regret it!

2 comments :

  1. MMMm....looks seriously tasty April. Thank you so much for the kind words re my blog. You really made my day! I'm just lazy. That's my secret. When you are lazy you can make simple things taste good because it is just too much trouble to do complicated, lol Love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)