March 14, 2015

Cheddar, Goat Cheese and Chive Biscuits

Jeepers creepers, cars are expensive!! Especially BIG cars! We're outgrowing our little Rondo, which I loooove, so much, but it's time to get something bigger. Especially with a little girl on the way! And goodness gracious, vans are expensive! Not to mention the actual shopping part, with all the numbers and dealing and salespeople... ugh, totally gives me a headache. At least we found a vehicle we really love, more than one, actually! Including one that isn't actually a van... putting a kink in the plan, for sure! Send me some good car-buying karma, this is going to be quite a ride!

Sorry I'm kinda boring today, there's a lot going on! Calling car dealerships, getting an entry space cut out of my carpet (duh moment there), baking a cake for my Dad just for the heck of it, driving down to the Springs for Mom's concert, my brain is a little full at the moment! I will say, it's impossible to keep light grey carpet clean at the front door, no idea how I didn't think of that when I got the carpet installed, especially when that is your big, black, beast of a dog's favorite place to hang out and rub her dog-ish-gunk into the carpet day after day. Also, I think I may have made that Best Ever Chocolate Cake even better, but I haven't officially cut into it yet, so I'll let you know tomorrow. Happy Saturday! 


Cheddar, Goat Cheese and Chive Biscuits (adapted from The English Kitchen)
Printable Recipe

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
6 Tb cold butter, cut into chunks
about a cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese
3 Tb chopped chives
about a cup of crumbled goat cheese
3/4-1 cup buttermilk

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.

Whisk the flour, salt, baking powder and soda into a bowl. Add the cold butter, and work it into the flour mixture using your fingers or a pastry blender, until no chunks remain that are bigger than small peas. Stir in the chives and cheddar cheese. Add the buttermilk a bit at a time, stirring it in with a fork, until the dough begins to clump together and there are no dry floury bits left. Gently knead together a few times to form a ball.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out into a rough rectangle, about 1/2 inch thick and roughly twice as long as it is wide. Turn the dough so that the long side is facing you. Mentally divide the dough in quarters lengthwise. Crumble 2/3 of the remaining goats cheese into the centre two quarters.
Fold the outer two quarters over to meet in the center from the short edges. 
Turn the dough so that the short side is facing you. Sprinkle the remaining goats cheese over one half of this and fold the other half up over it, like a book, tucking the rough edge in at the top.
Gently pat the dough out to an 8 inch square, about 3/4 inch thick. Using a straight up and down cut with a sharp knife, cut into 16 2-inch squares. 
Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving several inches in between each. Brush the tops with butter or milk.
Bake for 15 to 18 minutes until they are well risen and golden brown. Let them cool for a few minutes before serving, all that cheese is hot!
Okay, people, this biscuits are flipping awesome!! Salty-melty cheddar cheese, creamy-cool goat cheese, savory-flavory chives, plus those high-rising flakey layers, oh my goodness, they're amazing!! Just look at that little glorious bit of goat cheese oozing out of the side... Yummm!
 I figured the boys wouldn't be fans because of the "green things", but they actually adored them and hoovered the whole batch in one night! They're surprisingly good left over too, just warm them up for a few second in the microwave, or a few minutes in the oven if you want the outsides crispier. 
Just look at that scrumptious pocket of goat cheese! I swear, goat cheese is heaven! I can't wait to make them again. :)

3 comments :

  1. The biscuits look great! I might make them this morning. So...I made the chocolate cake but I changed a few things. I used *coconut oil, and made it in a spiral bundt pan. It turned out great, was a big hit on flavor, but frosting my spiral bundt was a real trick! I wish I had a pic to share. Everyone loved it. Needless to say, I had a ton of frosting left over. The recipe makes a lot, but I didn't have a center layer to frost. Anyway...just wanted you to know.
    *I use coconut oil as a replacement in a lot of recipes. It's especially good in brownies, banana bread or muffins, etc..as long as the flavor compliments the recipe. I adore coconut everything, but I use the oil in the kitchen and as a beauty aid, too! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They turned out really lovely April! So Impressed. Happy that you like them too! Can't wait to see you later this year. You could NEVER be boring! haha xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi April, your recipe is simply awesome! Can't wait to try this cheddar, goat cheese and chive biscuits with Sargento .

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)