January 5, 2015

Weekly Menu Jan 5


This week we have:
Eggnog Pancakes with Cranberry Syrup
One-Bowl Gingerbread Muffins
Double Chocolate Banana Bread


For today, Jan 5 ...

Outside my window... Tis cloudy and windy and we still have quite a pile of snow hanging around!! We had a huge snowstorm Christmas Day, it snowed somewhere around 8-10 inches, then continued snowing through the next day, and we've had little snowfalls off and on since. I think it's safe to say this is the snowiest winter we've had since moving here! We went sledding the day after Christmas, and Bracken got to brush up on her sled-fetching skills...


A few days later we had a party in our front yard. Apparently, my birdfeeder is a big hit! At one point there were eight deer right outside our window! 

A peek into my day...Today and tomorrow are the boys' last days of vacation, then they're back to school on Wednesday! I promised them we would watch old movies today; I'm introducing them to Fred Astaire, and they're already fans. We made muffins together this morning, we'll make breakfast together again tomorrow, at some point we have to get out of this house, but mostly we'll just be cozy and enjoy our last lazy hours together. Bracken has made friends with a visiting Rottweiler in the yard that backs up to ours, so she keeps asking to be let out to run along the fence whenever it comes outside. 

I am thankful... I am thankful for puppies and snow and family and Christmas! For snowboots, sales, surprise finds, and giving Christmas presents. I'm thankful for yummy food and snuggly boys and Fred Astaire. For paperwork, second chances, and employment, for how-to youtube videos and a very persistent husband. 

Source: Damian Kane
I am thinking... Ah, dear friends, I have Scotland on the brain! And yes, I know, I've said that before, though it's been a while. But this time is different. This time, I'm making plans. This is the year!! Later this month the Geologist and I will celebrate our TEN YEAR anniversary, and since we never had a honeymoon, we're taking one this Fall. In Scotland. And bits of England, with a chunk of Wales. But Scotland is the main event! I'm working up an itinerary, checking ticket prices, researching weather, and compiling a very long list of the most adorable B&B's I've ever seen! Oh, and I have to find a castle to stay in, for the Geologist. I tell you what, the UK knows how to do B&B's right! Some of these luxury places are just plain amazing! And some of the teeny ones in little stone cottages... *swoon*. September can't come fast enough!!

Around the house... We still have our Christmas decorations up... Including both trees... I hate taking them down!! But this week is tree disposal week, so we'll have to... soon... Ugh. This was hands-down the best Christmas our little family has ever had, we all agreed. In fact, it still felt like Christmas for a few days after! Some years that feeling is gone by dinnertime Christmas day, but it lingered this year. The snow might have had a little bit to do with it... :)
Source: Pinterest
I am hoping... All right folks, I'm going out on a limb here, fingers crossed, overflowing with excited hope. We have our big fat folder, we're submitting paperwork and gathering documents, and we are back on the adoption rollercoaster. After our last experience, we were (and still kind of are) hesitant to spread the news, because there is still (and always) the tiny possibility that things won't work out as planned, but I'm too excited to keep it to myself anymore!! We're adopting from China! We've barely begun, our application is accepted and we've signed up for training. We can't officially submit our paperwork to China until I turn 30 in April, but we've got lots to keep us busy until then. It's such a different experience than last time, nothing but positive feelings and lots of help. The agency we're working with is incredibly helpful, and I love them already! Friends, we could know what our little girl looks like as soon as May! June at the latest. And we could be traveling to China to pick her up a year from NOW!!! You see why I couldn't wait to tell??

One of my favorite things... Goat cheese. Seriously people, this stuff is magic. It's good in everything! Wait till you see these biscuits I have for you next week. Seriously scrumptious. My parents like to use it as a replacement for cream cheese in just about anything, and I'm totally addicted to this Cranberry Cinnamon goat cheese. I could go through a packet a day! And actually have, a few times... I have to stock up on it, it's only around during the holidays and it's going to be gone soon!!

Try your own Daybook! Get ideas here!

12 comments :

  1. Yay! What a lovely post - so much good news, from Christmas snow to delicious sounding recipes to your best Christmas ever to a belated amazing honeymoon in Scotland to ... WOW, the adoption update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you A! We're beyond excited, and it's so fun to have people to share good news with! Sorry for the delay on the recipes, we came down with some kind of weird January crud this week. Back in action next week!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful Christmas! I'm not looking forward to taking my tree down, either. I might even leave it up till the weekend. Your belated honeymoon sounds soooo wonderful. If I ever got to go to the UK, I would choose autumn. And maybe there won't be as many tourists then. You'll have the castles all to yourselves! And I hope your adoption keeps going smoothly, and you'll be able to add to your little family soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took the tree down today *sniffle*. It's always too early! We're going to try and get there right at the beginning of Autumn, fingers crossed! But you can never really pinpoint when those colors will show, can you? Thank you for your sweet comments!

      Delete
    2. I just took my tree down today. The place seems empty and "ordinary" now. Oh well, Christmas will come again (Lord willing and the creeks don't rise). Have you watched "Holiday Inn" yet? I bet Fred's firecracker number would appeal to little boys. As long as they don't try it at home, of course!

      Delete
    3. I have not watched Holiday Inn, thanks for the tip! They loved "Shoes with Wings On" from Barkleys of Broadway, my favorite Fred and Ginger movie. :)

      Delete
  3. I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!! Oh, I really hope everything turns out as beautifully as you dream it to be! Lots of prayers, love, hugs, crossed fingers, and hope for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginger!! Don't worry, there will be a big to-do when we bring her out to Utah to meet everyone :)

      Delete
  4. So much goodness here April. I am just thrilled about your trip over here to the UK, and beyond thrilled with your new about the adoption from China. I will keep you in my prayers that all runs smoothly for you with this. Any little girl would be lucky to have you and the geologist as parents. Love the winter photos. Love you. All the best to you and your lovely family in 2015! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO!! We need to start emailing, or Facebook messaging, or something, cuz there's a day in this itinerary we're working on with your name on it!! All the best to you too for 2015 dear friend! *hug*

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a positive outlook for 2015 for your family. I will keep you in my prayers. I also love the deer picture. Nature is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it though? I love living in Colorado where nature literally walks up to my front door, lol! 2015 is going to be awesome. I hope it is for you and your family too!

      Delete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)