October 26, 2014

Perfect Apple Crisp

Today I thought I'd give you a short picture visit to the most adorable apple orchard, and one of my new favorite Colorado finds!
 It has kind of a funny name, but Ya Ya Farm and Orchard is as pretty as can be! They grow heirloom apples, which are being revived from an orchard that was planted in the late 1800's, and adding lots of newer varieties, including Honeycrisps, my Mom's favorite, and Ginger Golds, my new favorite.
 Isn't their farm store adorable?? Lots of yummy apple treats and honey from their hives, delicious apple cider, cider muffins,and bushels of already-picked apples. If you want to pick your own apples, especially the heirloom varieties, you have to make a reservation. In January. You better believe I'll be on that list!!
 Plus they have mini cows!! I did not know such a thing existed!!! They're so cuuuuute! 
 But, of course, the baby Percheron was my favorite part. He's taller than ME! He liked nibbling on Joe's shoes. 
 Oh, and apples. Of course. Apples everywhere! I came home with ten pounds of Ginger Golds and this crisp was the first item on my apple treat list. Enjoy!!



Perfect Apple Crisp (adapted from King Arthur Flour)
Printable Recipe

Apple Filling:
3 lbs of apples (you'll have about 9 cups once you've peeled, cored, and sliced them)
1/4 cup apple cider or apple juice
1/4 to 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, depending on the sweetness/tartness of your apples
2 Tb melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tb boiled cider (**optional**)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3 Tb all-purpose or tapioca flour
1/4 tsp salt

Topping:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick oats
heaping 1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ginger
3/4 tsp baking powder
8 Tb cold buter, cut into tablespoon-sized chunks

**Boiled cider is this amazing substance from King Arthur Flour, and it's exactly what it sounds like. They boil cider down into this ultra-concentrated syrupy apple goodness that is now a must for any apple dish I ever make. Ever. You can use it to add apple flavor to things without apple chunks too! Sauces, syrups, glazes, baked yumminess, savory deliciousness, the uses are endless! I love this stuff! And they aren't even paying me to say so :) **

Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 9" x 9" square cake pan, or similar-size baking pan.

Peel and core your apples, then slice them about 1/4 inch thick. Mix with remaining filling ingredients and dump into prepared pan.

Whisk together the flour, oats, salt, sugar, spices, and baking powder for the topping in a medium bowl. Add the cold butter and work it in with your fingers until the mixture resembles crumbly cookie dough. (Just like my streusel tutorial!) Sprinkle the topping over the apples.

Set the pan on a parchment- or foil-lined cookie sheet, to catch any potential drips. Bake uncovered for about 60 minutes, until it's bubbling golden brown.

Remove from the oven, and let cool for 15-20 minutes before serving. (Waiting a bit helps the filling set). You can always re-warm individual servings if you like! 
 Okay, so I am seriously picky about apple pie and apple crisp, you guys. The apples need to be soft. Not mush, but not firm. There should be plenty of sweet, spiced syrupy-ness between all the apples. Lots of spices. Not overwhelming, but present. All of these points apple to both pie and crisp.With crisp, the topping needs to be flavorful and crunchy!!
Well, you've probably already guessed, because of the title I chose for this post, but this crisp is PERFECT. Everything I have ever wanted in an apple crisp. An apple crisp to daydream about. If my family enjoyed apple desserts as much as I do, I would make this all the time!!
Serve it warm with some vanilla ice cream and it is the perfect finale to my trio of apple desserts. Happy Fall!!

4 comments :

  1. To quote someone I know and love, your apple crisp looks "PERFECT!" I love a good apple crisp. They don't do crisps over here, they do crumbles and they are not quite the same. They take a bit of getting used to, but once you do, you embrace them for what they are. I will always like crisps better though. Loved all the photos, the words, YOU! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I think I can guess who you're quoting... XD Crumbles are good too, but apples just need a crisp. And I've never made one, so thank goodness my very first one was a smashing success! Love you too friend :)

      Delete
  2. Yummy! I remember some Honeycrisps ending up in our Costco a couple of years back and I was hooked. I haven't seen them since and I have never seen the Ginger Golds. They sound wonderful! The name of the farm reminds me of the movie "The Ya Ya Sisterhood". I love Percheron horses. They are positively one of the most beautiful horses I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they gorgeous?? They're the prettiest of the draft horses, I love them too!! The farm name is odd, huh. No idea where it came from. This was the first time I had every seen gingergolds, I'm not sure if they ever show up in stores, but honeycrisps do! Good luck tracking them down again :)

      Delete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)