June 19, 2014

Finger-Licking Braised Short Rib Tacos

Oops!! This did NOT get published while I was camping!! Oh well, better late than never. I'm off to wash the campfire out of my hair (and all of our laundry), write up a lesson for church tomorrow, pick the few remaining perfectly ripe cherries out of our trees with the help of The Geologist, a long stick, and two little monkey boys, try and figure out what the heck we're eating for the next two days, and look up some dates for a few antique book treasures I discovered today. Lots of fun things to share from this trip, pictures coming soon!!

Enjoy the summery tacos! :)

Finger-Licking Braised Short Rib Tacos
Printable Recipe

about 3 lbs beef short ribs
4 red onions, quartered
4-6 cloves of garlic, smashed
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
4 tsp kosher (coarse) salt or 2 tsp table salt
1 tsp pepper
4 cups beef broth/stock

6-inch tortillas
sour cream
lime wedges
red onions
guacamole
cilantro

*Update: I made some improvements to this recipe that I highly recommend!! Add a tablespoon of brown sugar to the spice rub, sub a cup of red wine for one of the cups of beef broth, double the cayenne if you actually want a bit of heat, and SEAR the ribs first! It makes a HUGE difference!!*

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Pat the short ribs dry with a paper towel, combine the spices in a small bowl, and rub the spices all over the short ribs. Place them in a large oven-safe baking dish (or Dutch oven). Arrange quartered onions on top, sprinkle smashed garlic cloves in between and pour broth over the whole thing. Cover with a lid or foil and place in the oven. Cook for 3-4 hours, until the meat pulls apart easily with a fork.

When fully cooked and tender, remove the short ribs from the juices and broth. Skim the fat off of about 2 cups of the juices (or use a fat separator) and place the remaining juices in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower to a strong simmer to reduce for about 10 minutes.

While the juices are reducing, remove the meat from the bones and shred with a fork. When the juices are done reducing, add to the shredded meat and mix to combine.

Serve hot, warm tortillas, with sour cream, thinly sliced red onions (I quick-pickled mine), cilantro, guacamole, fresh lime, etc. Any of your favorite taco toppings would probably work, I highly recommend the guacamole, and the lime is essential!
 My taco on the left, The Geologist's on the right. (The peppers, I must admit, are just for color. Had to!) I think guac is a must on these, and I totally let him down by not getting cilantro for him!! This meat, no kidding, will have you licking your fingers. SOOO ridiculously juicy and tender, loaded with spices, it is seriously rich in flavor!
We both agree that you can't skip the limes on this one! Contrast of flavors is key. Cool sour cream, sharp onions, bright, zippy lime cutting through that rich, spicy meat, and I think the creamy guacamole is the perfect finishing touch. This one is a definite keeper, and one of the Gologist's new favorites!

1 comment :

  1. Oh boy, do I ever wish we could get short ribs here. I am thinking brisket would work well. On my list of to do's!! Love this recipe. It's right up my alley! Thanks April! xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)