May 7, 2014

Super Cinnamon Ribbon Coffee Cake

I... have nothing interesting to talk about. My peony bushes are huge. I heard the closest lightning strike I've ever heard today, at the beginning of a 15 minute rainshower. Colorado is so weird and awesome that way. We're planting seeds in our little garden plot on Friday! I'm excited!! But boy, trying to decide which varieties of tomatoes to plant was dizzying! Do you have any favorite varieties? Specifically varieties that can well? (Why do we call it canning when we usually put things in jars?) I'm kinda winging it, I got Better Boy for canning and some kind of "Beefy" thing for eating. We shall see. I still need as much sleep as a toddler, which is odd. I wonder when that particular symptom will wear off... I love my house more every day, though I'm lousy at cleaning it. Our carpet got scheduled!! It will be installed next Wednesday! We're also having our big window replaced and installing French doors, which we ordered forever ago and I just found out the doors were broken on arrival so they had to reorder them. Oh well! This cake is delicious! 



Super Cinnamon Ribbon Coffee Cake (adapted from Salt and Chocolate)
Printable Recipe

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup brown sugar
2 heaping tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease/line a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, and salt together in a bowl and set aside. Stir the buttermilk and vanilla together in a large measuring cup or small bowl and set aside. Stir the brown sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl and set aside. 

Cream the butter and granulated sugar together until fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla, one at a time, mixing well between each. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix till combined, followed by 1/2 of the buttermilk mixture. Repeat this process, mixing until just combined after each addition and end with the flour. 

Pour 1/3 of the batter into the prepared pan and top with 1/3 of the cinnamon mixture and repeat until the final layer of cinnamon sugar becomes the topping. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
All of my boys have gotten a little bit spoiled with all the stuff I bake around here. The little ones are definitely pickier than the Geologist, and have both chosen a few things to hate without even trying them. Luckily, they both inherited my love for all those warm, cozy, classic Fall spices, so anything with cinnamon in it is a hit! Especially coffee cake. Stephen has had coffee cake for his birthday cake for the past three years! Joe picked this particular recipe out of a see of Google images, and it turned out to be exactly what we were looking for. Super-dooper cinnamon!
Mom, you would love this one! Classic, moist yellow cake, warmed up by a hint of ginger, with those rich, decadent, almost spicy ribbons of super-cinnamon running through. Yum!!
It certainly wouldn't win any prizes for beauty, but we didn't care. If cinnamon is your thing, you've got to try this coffee cake!

6 comments :

  1. What if ginger isn't your thing? Do you notice the ginger very much? This looks very good and I think all I would have to do is get some buttermilk and make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not super ginger-y, but if it's not your thing, totally skip it! It will still be delicious. I just can't help messing with recipes :)

      Delete
  2. I've always heard that Roma tomatoes (the pear-shaped ones) make the best sauce, having more "meat" in proportion to seeds than other varieties. Beefsteak varieties are fun for sandwiches because 1 slice of tomato fills up 1 slice of bread! I remember there are determinate varieties of tomatoes, that don't grow vines, and the indeterminate kinds that need staking or trellising. Did you know you can plant tomato seedlings on their sides, and roots will grow all along the stem? You strip the lowest leaves off the stem and bury it so that just the top few inches of the plant are showing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I read that about Romas, and also that they're the best Paste tomatoes. I kept thinking that I wasn't going to make paste, but I should have thought of sauce! I'd like to can some sauce and some diced/crushed fresh tomatoes. I can't wait!!

      Delete
  3. Don't you just hate it when people drop spam into your comments section. Drives me crazy. This looks fabulous. Very similar to my Cinnamon Loaf. These are my favourite types of things! Tomatoes love Epsom salts. I always add some to the water when I am watering them. We have always had really tasty tomatoes! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, thank you for the tip!! I will absolutely try that! Spam is so silly. I get lots less now though, with the page break :)

      Delete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)