June 7, 2013

Raspberry Rhubarb Crunch

My blog needs some tweaking. Just a bit!! So I have a few questions for my wonderful, talented, fabulous fellow bloggers.

First: Can anyone tell me how to get a "Pin It" button at the bottom of each post?? If you explain it to me, step-by-step, I can handle HTML code. Or an awesome, simple link to someone who does.

Second: How do you get borders around your pictures? Simple as frames, or a white line, or something. It looks sooo nice! I'd like to learn how to add that.

Now, thanks to my sister, I have an awesome custom blog design. Yay!! Unfortunately, it's based on the old "minima" template, so anything you could normally do through Blogger template designer won't fly.

While I'm waiting, I'll munch on some of this divine-ness...




Raspberry Rhubarb Crunch (adapted from The English Kitchen)
Printable Recipe

1 cup flour
3/4 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, melted (1 stick)
2 cups of diced fresh rhubarb
2 cups fresh/frozen raspberries

For the sauce:
1 cup sugar
2 Tb corn starch
1 cup of water
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 8-9 inch square baking dish (or a nice big round one). Set aside.
Stir the flour, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon together. Stir in the melted butter until completely combined, with no more dry bits. Press half of the crumbs into the prepared baking dish. Place the dish into the oven to toast while the oven preheats, or for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool a few minutes, and scatter the rhubarb and raspberries over the bottom crust.

Combine the sugar, corn flour, water and vanilla in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until thick and clearish. Pour this mixture evenly over top of the fruit. Top with the remainder of the crumb mixture, pressing it down gently.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown and bubbling at the edges.
Let sit about 15 minutes to cool. Serve warm with ice cream, custard, or just plain cream! Yum!!
Sweet, tart, summery heaven on a plate!! The WHOLE family loved this one! I must be honest, when I looked at the actual recipe, it seemed too simple to me. A sugar cornstarch syrup? Whaaat?? I should not have doubted. My dear friend Marie is the MASTER of simple! She can take a handful of ingredients and create absolute magic. Don't mess with this one too much folks, I swear it's fabulous!
And so pretty!! The crumbly stuff by itself is scrumptious. Really. In fact, I'm logging it away for use in future recipes. I just know I can create something awesome with it. Crunchy and cinnamony and warm and heaven! Of course, you can just use rhubarb for this. In fact, I would bet you could use any fruit or berry you wanted! You know how I like to play with things. I just wanted to try raspberries instead of the classic strawberries. YUM!! 
You've GOT to try this one. Seriously. If it is the first, next, or ONLY thing you make with rhubarb this year, you won't regret it!

7 comments :

  1. Adding a border, is easy it's just knowing the code to add. Does blogger's editor help you add images, or have you been adding them manually? I don't know if you'll use html or css, but here's a link that should steer you right. http://help.typepad.com/image-border.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I upload my pictures into my post while writing it, in the blogger dashboard. I'll go take a peek at those links!
      ~April

      Delete
  2. here's another link that might serve you better http://www.sueblimely.com/add-borders-to-images/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use Picassa to edit all of my photos, add text, whatever. It's free and it's easy to use! I have a pin it button in my side bar. I am not sure how I got it there. (DUH!) I just know it is there. lol

    You have taken my crumble recipe to a new level of deliciousness with the addition of raspberries! Our raspberries aren't ready yet, but I am now looking forward to their arrival eagerly. Our gooseberries are almost ready to pick! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I posted about pin it buttons here - http://caroleschatterblogtips.blogspot.co.nz/2012/09/put-pin-it-button-in-your-sidebar.html

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love rhubarb so much, but I've never thought of putting raspberries with it. And, I just found a sale for raspberries, so I have a ton in my fridge right now! I just got a ton of rhubarb from my grandma, but that will be made into jam for the year. Hopefully I'll have two cups left to make this as well :) (Jam takes 10 cups....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, I'm jealous! The local fruit isn't ready around here yet. I can't wait to start making jam! And I hope you had some raspberries left over :)

      Delete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)