December 8, 2012

Butter Lettuce Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing

Well, I think The Geologist's post yesterday takes care of my Small and Wonderful Things, don't you? I'm glad he likes me so much. I'm pretty fond of him too. :) I'm so proud, he actually quoted Bollywood!! But he is SERIOUSLY in the doghouse for posting that last picture. Ugh.

The concert was glorious!! Fantastic!! A once-in-a-lifetime experience. I gave a little more than I should have in rehearsals, so my voice was kinda raw, and not as perfect as I might have wished, but I kept up pretty well! I nailed and held those ridiculously high notes almost all the way through, and gave it everything I had left. One song kind of fizzled, but we were just underscoring the narrator so it didn't really matter. When we finished with "Angels We Have Heard On High" (very high!!) we were louder, more powerful, and more awesome than we had ever been. Like the angels really were with us. I got down off the stand, shaking, and burst into tears. One of the handbell ladies tried to see if I was okay, and I told her I was just too happy!! It's hard to find the words to express what it meant to me, but the one that comes to mind is transcendent. And the best part is, I get to do most of it again on Monday!! Half of us are singing with the bells and orchestra for their concert! So I will rest my voice this weekend, so I can really blow the roof of that place!

The chapel was decorated with dozens of poinsettias, and they said we could take one home for a small donation...
I hadn't realized how HUGE they were!!

Butter Lettuce Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing (inspired by The English Kitchen)
Printable Recipe

2 small heads of butter lettuce, washed, trimmed, and torn into pieces
1/2 English Cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 large carrot, shredded (or grated)
1 apple, cored and diced

For the dressing:
3 Tb extra virgin olive oil
2 Tb apple cider vinegar
1 Tb liquid honey
2 Tb Dijon mustard or to taste (grainy or smooth, it's up to you)
a drizzle of balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
Combine vegetables and chill. Whisk dressing together, and drizzle over salad right before serving!
My boys all love apples in their salad, and I have never been a fan till now! Somehow they go so well with that honey-mustard dressing!
This is a very light and refreshing salad, no strong flavors really. Of course, the fun thing about salads is that you can do just about anything with them, so be creative! This is just my version :) I think next time I'd add my marinated onions, and perhaps some cheese!
I'm really having fun with this whole salad thing!!

1 comment :

  1. I just love, LOVE salads as you know April. This is a favourite one. I love fruit in salads. I always put raisins in my coleslaw and sometimes dates too. It just somehow makes something good even better. Potatoes and salads. Two things I could not live without . . . oh and pasta and chocolate. On a dessert Island I would have to have those four things or I would just die. I know I would. Love you! xxoo
    PS You getting tired of my insane comments yet?? I thought so! ☺ I love you too!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)